Installing foam insulation on a house with no soffit

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Nick M.

Installing foam insulation on a house with no soffit

Post by Nick M. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 pm

I recently replace the roof on my rancher style house. I kind of goofed because I didn't think to add soffits to the sides of my house at the time. I now want to add R-value to my house with foam insulation, however adding the 2 inch thick foam and new siding would leave a gap at the top of my house for weather to destroy at will.
Is there anything I could do around the roof line to cap off the new foam insulation and siding from being exposed?
I know it may not be possible to add the foam insulation at this point without re-framing and re-decking the roof etc.... But I was just wondering if anyone has come across this problem or has any ideas.

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Installing foam insulation on a house with no soffit

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 pm

So I will assume this is a gable roof and you are referring to the gable end areas? So are the walls basically flush with the roof sheathing or do you have something like a 2x6 fascia up there nailed to the walls?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Here are some pics of the side of my house. The roof sheathing goes right up to the outer edge of the fascia board.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 pm

pictures??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am

My lack of phone skills is showing. I'll try again, but the siding is flush with the fascia board.

IMG_20190305_161318372

I dunno if that's gonna work...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 am

If you post using the "full editor & preview" tab you will then get options for "attachments". Try that.

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:08 pm

IMG_20190305_161318372.jpg
IMG_20190305_161318372.jpg (557.66 KiB) Viewed 140 times
I think i figured it out ....lol

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm

yup ,now ya got it!

Ok so this is exactly what I figured you had So here is an pretty easy way to get around this.
Looks like you have some shingle overhang but not much but you have a couple of options.
#1 Install another 2x4 or 2x6 fascia board over the existing one tight to bottom of shingles Install a new drip edge ontop of that tucked under the shingles. You may need to have a custom one bent up so that the top flange of it is 2-1/2" to 3" long. It will likely require pulling the odd nail out along that edge as well to get it in there. Then install a fascia panel as normal. You can then install your foam ,house wrap and new siding to the entire wall.

#2 if you don't want the drip edge sticking out past the shingle edge then install narrower fascia board over the old 2x6 one and make it flush to the bottom of the old one. You then get a custom Z flashing made that will tuck up under the old drip edge, across the top of new fascia board and down the front edge an inch or so .Then cut a new metal fascia panel to fit. You can then add the foam, house wrap and siding.

Do those options make sense?

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Those are great ideas!

I like the first idea a little better. I don't mind the drip edge sticking out past the shingles, especially if I go with a black drip edge. The only thing that worries me is wind-driven rain or melting snow sneaking along the new drip edge and under the shingles.

I am thinking of ripping the top edge of the new 2x4 at a 45 degree angle and bending the new drip edge down over the angle to prevent pooling of water. This may leave some shingle overhang and prevent a horizontal drip edge that leads water under the shingles?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:07 am

Yup that is a good idea. A little extra work for the bending guy but doable for sure.

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for your help and patience!

Love the videos, HGTV and diy network definitely need to give u a call.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks Nick