Help kitchen recessed light layout

Ask your kitchen related question here
Ginooo89

Help kitchen recessed light layout

Post by Ginooo89 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:10 am

Hi guys I’m indecise how to layout the recessed kitchen lights hand how many I need, measure of the kitchen is 12’-6” x 15 and also I want 2 pending lights on the peninsula.. I will attach a picture of the kitchen layout
Attachments
FBC059DB-879D-4459-A11B-41B81E42595B.png
Kitchen layout
FBC059DB-879D-4459-A11B-41B81E42595B.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 233 times

A. Spruce

Re: Help kitchen recessed light layout

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:10 am

I would say 6 to 8 lights. You want to mount them about 6" in front of the upper cabinets, any closer and you won't have good lighting inside the cabinet, any further back and your body will cause shadows on the counter when you're working. I would say probably 3 lights down either side with 2 general lighting lights down the center.

I would put all lights on dimmer switches, one switch for the counter lighting, one for the room lighting, and one for the pendants. You may also want to consider some task lighting over the sink and possibly under the upper cabinets as well, each on their own switch.

I am one that would rather have too much light than not enough.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ginooo89

Post by Ginooo89 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am

The only thing that the right side where the pantry and the refrigerator are 24 inch cabinets and they go up to the ceiling, so 6” away from the cabinets will be 30” center of the light so what I can do maybe just offset those 2 lights on the right side top corner of the kitchen.. what do you think it will look fine if I do that ??

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 am

There are so many choices now as to lumens ,Kelvins now that it would be helpful to know what type of lights you are using?
A kitchen is one room that needs lots of light and at least a couple different zones switched with dimmers. With 3" to 4" 800 Lumen LED slims in the 2700-3500 K range I would go with likely 4 down each side (one of which is over the sink) the others within 12" of uppers and 2-3 down the centre of the room. There is also the option of under cabinet lights. If you do that you can likely get rid of the centre room lights and move the outer rows out closer to 2' from the uppers, but keep one over the sink.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am

I would not place one at the fridge just in front of the pantry.
That fridge space looks really narrow?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 am

Ginooo89 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am
24 inch cabinets and they go up to the ceiling, so 6” away from the cabinets will be 30” center of the light
Actually, you want 6" between the cabinet and the side light can, not the center. They can be a bit further away from pantry cabinets to give better lighting inside. Yes, you will shadow the cabinet a little bit with the lighting behind you, however, you're not working in shadows, so it will be fine. With these lights further away from the cabinets they could also be tasked with general lighting, which could eliminate the two in the center that I had mentioned earlier.

Shannon also brings up a good point, the type of light you choose is going to affect the overall amount of light you get. LED is an excellent choice. I put 5k bulbs (four 4' fluorescent replacement bulbs) in my kitchen and do not find them harsh or too bright. This is where dimmers come in very handy, you can adjust brighter lamps to a lower setting to get just the right amount for your needs. Be warned, not all LED fixtures or bulbs are dimmable, so choose wisely. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

Something to keep in mind as well, you can install the light cans with a little extra wire so that you can test placement and move them before you install the drywall if necessary. Lighting effects will change a bit once the drywall and cabinets are in place, but you should be able to get a good idea if your placement looks good and functions well.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

Not all dimmers wrk with LEDs either

Ginooo89

Post by Ginooo89 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am

I’m using 6” can light

Ginooo89

Post by Ginooo89 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

Or you guys think are too big for a kitchen..?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:18 am

6" is typical and should be able to throw plenty of light where you need it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:48 pm

I would use LED slim lights if it were me. Easy to use and most are rated for 50000 yrs.

Naomi.P

Post by Naomi.P » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm

The typical rule of thumb for spacing between recessed lights is that they should be 24 inches from the wall and the space between two recessed lights should be 3-5 feet. So, if the kitchen is 15X15 feet, we may need to install three rows of recessed lights. If the recessed lights leave 24 inches from the wall on both sides, the space between the two rows of lights will be 11 feet. Since recessed lights should be separated by 3-5 feet, we need another row of recessed lights in the middle. This means we have three rows of three lights each. So in order to illuminate your kitchen of 15X15 with recessed lights, you need at least 9 recessed lights.