Trimming a pocket door...issue

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Bkpropertiesdsm

Trimming a pocket door...issue

Post by Bkpropertiesdsm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Hello! Good to be here. Hope to learn alot. Started flipping a couple.of years ago. Only doing the minor stuff like painting etc except on this current flip. We had our contractor install a pocket door and in doing so I noticed there isnt a way to trim out the inside of the door. You can see it is flush to the wall. I cannot find any pics or info to help with this. Hope someone has a great idea. Sorry the pic came out on its side.
20190306_121311.jpg
20190306_121311.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 178 times

A. Spruce

Re: Trimming a pocket door...issue

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:10 pm

You will apply flat trim to either side of the door pocket. On the outside of the jamb (next to switches) that will be it, caulk to the wall and you're done. On the inside, the flat jamb trim will end flush with the wall surface and then you will apply casing around the inside of the door as you would any other door.

HUGE WORD OF CAUTION HERE!!!!! Watch your nail length when attaching the door trim, you don't want to shoot nails through your door or into the door cavity where the door will contact them! Do not use nails any longer than the total thickness of the trim and three quarters of the door framing stock.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Bkpropertiesdsm

Post by Bkpropertiesdsm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 am

Thank you so much for your reply. So basically I'm just applying casing to the top and right side of the opening and a flat trim piece next to the switches.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 am

The whole door jamb needs to be wrapped with some sort of flat material to finish it off. On the pocket side next to the switches, that is all you will have, since there is no room for casing. The top and other side would be cased as normal, yes.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 am

Here is my video if that helps at all. In my case I had room for casing around the entire perimeter .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKS9tGa2Gos
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Bkpropertiesdsm

Post by Bkpropertiesdsm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 am

Thank you both. If you zoom in to the pic I do have the trim on next to the switches...is that enough or would you make it come out a little more? Just caulk that space between the drywall and flat trim?

Bkpropertiesdsm

Post by Bkpropertiesdsm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 am

Shannon, I've watched that video and many others of yours. Thank you for all you do.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 am

But, unfortunately, the other side is not and you have to deal with the edge of the drywall.

If you like how the switch side looks, then simply caulk the joint and be done with it. I prefer the jamb to be a bit proud of the wall, I think it looks a little better. For the other side, I would shave the drywall back to the "rough frame" of the pocket frame and then install a trim wide enough to cover the raw edge of the drywall, that the trim on both sides of the pocket are the same level.

Bkpropertiesdsm

Post by Bkpropertiesdsm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank you! I will definitely do that. I was going to use my dremmel to shave down the side where the drywall is sticking out just a bit and add a flat peace of trim. I want both sides even so I will rip a peace and add it so they even out. Adding these jam peaces I will need to add more to the bumper so the door stops at the edge of the jam and not back too far. I appreciate you taking the time to help an amateur.