Need help on shower pan suggestions

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Jmaclicious

Need help on shower pan suggestions

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Well due to Lowes and their vendor PMF Plumbing being severely incompetent on being able to deliver a Kohler Cast iron shower pan that I had ordered way back in Late October.. It got postponed about 6 different times and the last time I was guaranteed for sure they were arriving in Canada and shipping out Today (march 8th) and oh look guess what, got pushed back AGAIN until first week of July.. so after finally getting tired of all this nonsense I cancelled this order, as much as I really wanted a cast iron pan for its durability and also interested in the non-slip surface so I dont break my neck.. Any other recommendations on brands etc? I really want a good quality pan that won't end up cracking to the point I have to replace within few years.. I am working in an Alcove situation 36width x 48length with a Centre Drain.... currently this rough in was plumbed for this pan at 24" Length and 17" Width. Very stressful

A. Spruce

Re: Need help on shower pan suggestions

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Have you thought about a cultured product? This is similar to Corian countertops, but formed for pans, tubs, surrounds, vanity tops, that sort of thing. I used to have a local manufacturer that was great, they retired a couple years ago, so I'm now on the hunt for another local supplier. A good quality fiberglass pan is also a good way to go. Good regular cleaning and monthly, or so, applications of Gel Gloss and both types of pans will last for years.

I'm not big on fiberglass surrounds, but a fiberglass pan with either a cultured or tile surround looks awesome! If you go tile, be sure to seal your grout, this will make cleaning much easier and make the grout last a lot longer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:17 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 pm
Have you thought about a cultured product? This is similar to Corian countertops, but formed for pans, tubs, surrounds, vanity tops, that sort of thing. I used to have a local manufacturer that was great, they retired a couple years ago, so I'm now on the hunt for another local supplier. A good quality fiberglass pan is also a good way to go. Good regular cleaning and monthly, or so, applications of Gel Gloss and both types of pans will last for years.

I'm not big on fiberglass surrounds, but a fiberglass pan with either a cultured or tile surround looks awesome! If you go tile, be sure to seal your grout, this will make cleaning much easier and make the grout last a lot longer.
Went to the local Kohler showroom here and the guy showed me an Acyrlyic style similar to the Mirolin Strada base.. its a Hytec Kendale ACR3783 , made by kohler too. Seemed nice but i was trying to put a lot of pressure on it when i was standing in it and I did notice a little bit of creeking.. however I doubt they go all out with putting mortar mix under the pan to make it super solid. The price tag is about 600$ compared to the 1700 of the cast iron one I was looking at originally.. Only issue I have is would these things crack easy from a shampoo bottle falling in it etc? Apparently the manufacturing warehouse had an explosion and that is why they were so far behind on the Cast Iron making.. so I could go with that option still as well if it is really worth it but I would be waiting until the fall time if I went that route. https://www.hytec.ca/product-detail/acr ... =ACR3783-0

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:03 am

I've only seen impact damage done by hard/sharp cornered objects, even then it was a pock mark that either didn't penetrate or could easily be filled without compromising aesthetics or integrity.

The type of cultured product will matter, as far as impact damage. I can't remember the 3 grades my supplier had, but basically, the cheap one was an acrylic layer over a plaster base, this one could be damaged if it were chipped. The other two were full resin products, so they were sturdier and much better looking.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.