Warped Ceiling

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
ChuckP88

Warped Ceiling

Post by ChuckP88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 am

Hello everyone,
I am trying to identify the cause for this ceiling to warp in a potential home I may be purchasing,prior to making an offer or having an inspection of the property . Any ideas Pictured in the attachment . This is a sun room with no rooms overhead just a roof in a lake property built on a hill in 1940.
Attachments
0309191226a.jpg
0309191226a.jpg (612.84 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Shannon

Re: Warped Ceiling

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 am

This could be a leak that could have caused the tiles to come loose and sag and the new coat of paint is hiding the water staining? or they could simply have come loose. If it was my home for sale I would have fastened them back up before painting if it was something simple? Is there any access to see above the ceiling in the roof space?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

ChuckP88

Post by ChuckP88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks for the input. I don't believe there is access to the roof space . Would this be uncovered under a inspection?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am

An inspection will note that the ceiling is sagging, but they will not do any investigation into why. Have the inspector pay particular attention to the roof over the sun room.

Can you push up on the tiles and move them, if so, they've probably just come loose over time. If not, then whatever they're attached to has come loose. Be careful if you do push on them, much movement can cause them to completely fall down and you don't want to be responsible for a repair on a home you do not own.

The cause could be that the glue has released from either the ceiling or back of the tiles due to age. Could be that a water leak caused them to release, but there would definitely be water stain evidence of this, even if freshly painted because they are so porous that it is very hard to seal them enough to keep the stain from bleeding through. Could be excess humidity/heat in that room that caused them to release.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

ChuckP88

Post by ChuckP88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks for the input I will be sure to have the inspector take extra notice to the roof. I didn't want to press hard while we looked at the home but they did have some give/ elasticity to them when i put some pressure on them. However they did not feel damp or have any visible signs of water damage/ leaking.