Shower Replacement in Seasonal Cottage

Ask your bathroom related questions here
AdeleB

Shower Replacement in Seasonal Cottage

Post by AdeleB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Shannon,

We are looking to replace our shower in our seasonal cottage in Northwestern Ontario. The bathroom is very small and unfortunately the standard sizes of showers and shower pans are too large. The maximum size our shower could be is 30" x 38" with the threshold on the 38" dimension. We are considering a Schluter shower system but are concerned that the tile and grout may crack in the winter when the cottage is not heated. The cabin is also on a pad and post foundation and does experience a fair amount of seasonal movement. We have also been told that acrylic options may crack in the cold weather and that there would be no warranty on the product if we installed it here.

Do you have any recommendations for this situation? If we went with the tile and grout solution, can you recommend a tile and grout that would be suitable for these conditions? Or would an RV shower base with acylic panel walls (like Kohler choreograph system) be a better idea?

Thank you!

A. Spruce

Re: Shower Replacement in Seasonal Cottage

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am

Done properly, I don't think you'll have any issues with tile and movement or cold, which will give you the ability to create any size and shape shower area you wish. The only place tile normally "cracks" is at the corners/change of direction, and these locations should be caulked.

Using a backer material behind the tile will likely be good enough, though you may want to consider doing a mortar bed, which will give the tile a whole lot more rigidity.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I agree i don't think you will have a problem with tile . I always use Mapei brand flexcolor CQ grout for everything. It does not need sealing and it actually has a little flexibility to resist cracking.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AdeleB

Post by AdeleB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Thank you both for the quick reply. The only thing I am struggling with now is that the Schluter Kerdi system recommends an unmodified mortar because they think the modified mortar will not cure properly between the waterproof Kerdi membrane and tile (citing 14-60 days to cure due to lack of exposure to air). The problem with unmodified mortar in my case is that it apparently not suitable for freeze/thaw situations like a seasonal cottage. Do either have you have experience with this? I would like to use a modified mortar if possible.

Thanks again.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:19 pm

I'm not a tile guy, but I do a bit of it here and there. I usually use mastic, which is actual glue, as opposed to thin set. However, I just repaired a bathroom floor and needed something that I could set and grout in the same day, I found this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Buil ... /100093406
The stuff I used was 3 hour set, it mixed well with a mixing wand, had good open time in the bucket, and clean-up was easy as well. I don't know if it is right for your situation, but it shouldn't be too hard to do a little research to figure that out. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 am

Actually Schluter has their own modified thinset (allset) they allow it to be used and still warranty the project. (for as much as any warranty is really worth)
It is allowed for interior and exterior use. Not sure on the freeze thaw but you could check that out on their website.
Also a side note for you ,if you don't have any drywall on the wall now then I would use Kerdi board it is much quicker to install than installing kerdi fleece over an existing wall. Although in my area it is about double the cost. A shower your size would cost me about $100 more but save me likely 1hr in install time. So its a bit of a trade off for me.
If you already have drywall or something like that on the walls then the fleece is good.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AdeleB

Post by AdeleB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you!