Drywall compound

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jen

Drywall compound

Post by Jen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm mudding drywall in my mudroom and the first coat is done (quickset compound with tape). For the next coats I need more compound. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Certainteed "Lite all-purpose" and the "One all-purpose" compounds? Which one is the best choice?
Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Drywall compound

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

All purpose compounds will do both taping and topping duties, the problem with them is that they tend to dry pretty hard, which makes sanding a real chore.

"Lite" compounds usually mean that they will sand easier than regular compounds.

Personally, I prefer dedicated joint or all purpose compound for taping purposes and first coat work and dedicated topping compound for all other coats. The difference here is that joint compound is a harder drying compound that works well for holding tape and rough filling work, while topping compound is a little smoother, creamier in consistency and is very easy to sand smooth. I think that topping compound is superior in usablility and finishing than "lite" products, however, it is not always readily available at the big box.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jen

Post by Jen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll see what the hardware store has available :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm

If it is a small job and one box or pail will do then I would stick to the lite all purpose
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon