Cordless Tools

A. Spruce

Cordless Tools

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 am

The time has come that I need to buy a new set of cordless tools. What's your favorite brand, voltage, features, etc.?

I've been an 18v DeWalt guy since '00. I really like the fit in my hand, quality, features, and durability, though the drill is a tad heavy to be using at arms reach. Before that I had a Makita 7.2v set, while it worked fine for what I bought them for (assembling gazebos), they were not up to the task of daily construction needs.

I'm interested in the Milwaukee tools how is the weight of the drill and fit in the hand?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Re: Cordless Tools

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:58 am

Is there really much advantage of 20v over 18v?

DanM

Post by DanM » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:01 pm

18v and 20v are basically the same thing assuming they're both Lithium Ion cells. The difference is how they 'report' the voltage.

As for tools, really anything lithium from a respected brand is going to be good.There's some differences between individual tools here and there but I doubt it's anything massive. Though I will mention Hilti tools. They're pretty much the best you can get, but you're gonna pay for it... a lot lol. I wouldn't really recommend them if you aren't using them to generate income though, they're like 2-3x the price of your typical Dewalt, Milwaukee, Stanley, etc. The craftsmanship is better, they're designed to last as long as possible unlike most tools which are designed to be good for a certain amount of time before they fail and you have to buy a new one, but most of the advantages are in the service contract. Like if any of the Hilti stuff at work needs service they come out in about an hour/hour and a half to give you a loaner and pick up the broken one to get serviced.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm currently stuck on Dewalt. I started out with them, and once you have a few batteries and chargers it makes sense to keep with the same brand.

I'm looking at changing over to Milwaukee just because of the options for lighting (I really like the new 12V rocket LED light).

Bosch has some really price competitive options with their lithium lineup, but don't have the selection that Milwaukee has.

Dewalt hurt themselves by branding some of their lower lineup with the Dewalt name. You can buy a Dewalt 1/4" impact for $100, and an exact replica for $200 ... different tools but ....

The difference between the Dewalt 18 and 20V is nothing. They are the same cells inside the battery pack. I think it was Mr Admin guy that posted a link to a guy that actually took them apart.
I would suggest that if you go with Dewalt, go with the 20V platform. Not for the extra 2 volts (arguably), but most of the new lineup is 20V.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:25 pm

I bleed Red you guys all know that but Spruce if your not doing jobs full time and have no large renos in the works I don't think it is worth it . Red is a little more pricey then Yellow and honestly Yellow is on sale every week somewhere. If your refitting your truck and heading back to work then I would go to Red.
20V is really just a gimmick to make you think you are getting more power. In reality all 18V tools are actually 20V but you don't get the full 20V out of any of them. It sounds good but its really nothing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 pm

If you were paying attention around here we have discussed this 20v vs 18V scam! LOL.

viewtopic.php?t=2452
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 pm
If you were paying attention around here we have discussed this 20v vs 18V scam! LOL.

viewtopic.php?t=2452
Not much of a discussion, and it was a little before my time! :lol: I will check out the link though. 8-)

I still have one DeWalt drill and brand new battery, but that's not enough to keep me Yellow. I made the mistake of stopping at Evil Orange today to look at and compare the brands and not only are the shelves half empty, they're F'ing tethered so short you can't even take them off the shelf to feel them in your hand. Have I mentioned before just how much I despise Evil Orange? Maybe I should clarify, I'm talking about Evil Orange the material supplier, not Evil Orange the treason weasel, though I loathe the treason weasel with the same enthusiasm as well. :lol:

No, I won't be getting back into the trades, just doing the occasional side job here and there and my own personal projects.

DanM, I have used a few Hilti tools, they are top notch and top tier expensive! :shock: I appreciate the quality, I can't justify them though. I like the green brand too, can't think of the name of them at the moment, but they're another high quality and high dollar tool.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:11 am

Festool is likely the green one one you are thinking of.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 am

Yep, Festool is the one.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

An electrician I know just made the change to Bosch tools.
He really likes them, likes the weight and feel, and they often can be had on some good sales.

They have a good lineup of tools too.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm

I remember, a whole lot of years ago, a contractor I worked for had a Bosch drill that he loved because it was lighter. At that time I had the 7.2 Makita and the Bosch was lighter and more powerful than the Makita. I'd like a lighter drill, but it's not that big a deal to me and it's not worth significant price jumps to get it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Depending what you are doing you may like the 12v line if tools that some companies have . Nice compact and light but still can pack a punch. I have red ones of course 😎

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm
I remember, a whole lot of years ago, a contractor I worked for had a Bosch drill that he loved because it was lighter. At that time I had the 7.2 Makita and the Bosch was lighter and more powerful than the Makita. I'd like a lighter drill, but it's not that big a deal to me and it's not worth significant price jumps to get it.
If it wasn't for this (att pic) , I would go with with Bosch over Milwaukee !

Haven't bought it yet, but it's high on my list :mrgreen:
Attachments
!m12 rocket.jpg
!m12 rocket.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Nice lights but real pricey aren’t they!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

I could see where a light like that would come in handy every once in a while. That's one of the great things about LEDs these days, extremely bright and don't take much energy so they can be battery operated, making them more convenient than their corded brethren.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Wow! $1400 for the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 6-tool set. The "fuel" line is the brushless system.

The 9 piece 20v DeWalt is $730.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm

I was trying to tell you that! LOL.

Generally if you purchase a good Red drill/impact set with two 5.0 batteries you could just buy bare tools after that and it usually works out cheaper. I use many 4.0 and 5.0 batteries and that will run anything really well other then a chainsaw, 7-1/4" Circ. saw or table saw. Likely want 3-4 batteries if you work mostly on your own.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:14 pm

The pro reviews I've read on Red tools are all favorable, but consumer reviews are mixed, most really bad customer service and results when trying to warranty issues. I wouldn't mind trying them, but not at $1400. I have not priced individually yet to see where that gets me. I primarily need a drill and saw, but am intrigued by the impact and oscillating tools. The tile job I just did, an oscillator would have been great for removing the grout along the tub. A flashlight is important too, but I've got a Mag-lite, so I don't need to spend money on one right now.

When I was working, I had 3 batteries, most of the time that would get me through the day, especially if I could always be charging a battery.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 pm

What do you think of this set, Shannon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTWRHD2

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:30 am

That will be a good set.This is not the "fuel" version so they are still brush motors but they will be fine. The only thing are the 3.0 batteries you will likely find they are great for light weight and compact but lower run time then 5.0. The first set i ever bough were actually 2.0 batteries and brush motors and i still have them and the drills . They are in one of my shops and do not get used a lot anymore but they still work fine. These drills and batteries are over 12 yrs old i believe and i used them likely for 6-7 yrs full time to start with.
Also that hack saw is something I have been wanting to get as i think it would be handy but it will not be as good for demo type stuff compared to an actual recip. saw.
It looks like that set is about $440 Can. so pretty good price. The set you looked at for 1400 was the have fuel tools and there is a pretty good price jump.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 am

I still have my original DeWalt drill that I bought back in '99-'00, works great! I actually bought a second set after 2 or 3 years of heavy use, moving them into the shop and the new set lived in the truck. When I sold my shop a couple years ago, everything went, so I'm now down to just the basic daily carry for hand tools, hence the need for a new cordless set up.

I haven't fully gone through that Amazon listing to see the details. I am getting back into doing more handyman work, though not full time. I'm glad to see a wider variety of cordless tools available today, some of which, like the DeWalt vacuum, would have been great to have back in the day. While I'm looking mostly for a circular saw and drill at the moment, when the funds are available I plan to add more and more tools to the stable, so whatever brand I choose, I want that kind of expansion room.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm

I have the dewalt 18V vacuum. I really like it. It has a hepa filter, so no problems with drywall dust.
I've even used it to empty toilets when removing them.

Maybe that means it actually sucks ! :mrgreen:

The dewalt radio is nice too. Sounds good, can plug in a cell phone to it (for tunes), and it charges both the NiCads and Lithium batteries too (1 at a time).

It will run off the battery for the tunes too if you don't have power.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Nice lights but real pricey aren’t they!
The M12 is $200 (tool only). A lot for a light, but it looks like the cats azz to me :mrgreen:

For some reason, I seem to often be working in the dark :shock:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't work in the dark often, but definitely a nice feature to have when you need it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I like that Dewalt vac. Milwaukee has one very similar but does not come with an option to plug it in if you have power. I believe the Dewalt does?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 pm

I don't know if the DeWalt vac also has a plug or not. There was a short time when the 24v stuff came out that it had a cord adapter to use in place of the battery. While this obviously defeats the purpose of a battery tool, IMHO, it is a worthy feature for those times when you're out of batteries and need to finish out the day. Another invaluable tool would be a charger to plug into your vehicle. If they can make 120v inverters for vehicles, they can step 12v up to whatever your cordless tool needs.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 am

Ya they did have one that was decant ac powered. The old 18v line had one as well.https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCV581H-20 ... QDA2V02MB5

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am

That's a lot of frog skins and moose pelts for a vacuum. I've been using the same 1 gallon ShopVac for the past 20 years, so I guess if the Big D can last at least half that long it's a good investment, right? LOL

I have to say, the only Yellow tool I've owned that I wasn't pleased with was the 18v recip. saw. It was worthless, it had no cutting power and it went through batteries like Nutzy goes through scotch! :shock: :lol:

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 pm

I have had two sets of the reds, but not the fuels. So red Jrs I guess. First set was stolen from my truck.....people suck.

I got the second set from the big orange home store. Searched hard and found one with drill, impact driver, circular saw, sawzaw, multi-tool, shop vac, and 4 batteries (2.0, 3.0x2, and 5.0). Also came with 2 battery chargers and packout rolling tool box. Came to $499.00 (American) before taxes.

The red Jrs are great tho, never had an issue. Helped me put on new roof deck and re-build soffits, put in kitchen cabinets and numerous side jobs. ( I'm a painter/tile/ light carpentry by trade)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:36 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am
That's a lot of frog skins and moose pelts for a vacuum. I've been using the same 1 gallon ShopVac for the past 20 years, so I guess if the Big D can last at least half that long it's a good investment, right? LOL

I have to say, the only Yellow tool I've owned that I wasn't pleased with was the 18v recip. saw. It was worthless, it had no cutting power and it went through batteries like Nutzy goes through scotch! :shock: :lol:
Yes they had some tools that were built in a couple versions...home owner and contractor. The Dewalt I had years ago was great but I seen the cheap ones and they where built very light and cheap.