Best cement mix to patch dips?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jmaclicious

Best cement mix to patch dips?

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:14 am

Im trying to patch up a few dips that are still present after using floor levelling compound in areas of my basement to bring it up within 1/8 flatness for subfloor, I used the mapei self leveller plus, however now im struggling to find something to use to patch the occasional 1/4-3/8" dip.. im struggling between Mapei Planipatch (which i read reviews on it being super chalky and hard to work with due to low pot life), or I was looking at Quickcrete Bonded Topping Mix. Planipatch is $23.00 a bag, and Quickcrete bonded topping mix is around $31 per bag... both would give similar coverage, I can't find any reviews on the Quickcrete bonded topping mix to save my life but the spec sheet sounds promising.. 30 minute working time compared to 7-8 minutes of planipatch(however planipatch pot life can be extended with Planipatch Plus additive but the downfall is you would be limited in applying it in layers of 1/4" unlike mixed with water you are allowed up to 1/2", however thats another $37.00 for the container and I would have to get the additive at a Rona across the city because the Lowes in my end does not carry that additive. Just not to sure which one would be better.. selection is so limited at these big box stores :( If the bonded topping mix is recommended I may skip self leveller on the other side of the basement and go with that route and control it the way I want much easier, and I could take my time with it rather than self leveller I can't really stop once I start.

Spec sheet for the bonded topping mix

https://www.targetproducts.com/UserCont ... 202016.pdf

Spec sheet for the Mapei Planipatch:

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products ... tch-en.pdf

A. Spruce

Re: Best cement mix to patch dips?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 am

I don't have experience with any of those products. It's been way too long since I've used leveling compound to remember the brand or specifics.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 am

I use Sika leveller 125 . My local Rona carries it but I believe Home Depot does as well and I 'm sure others. It can be applied up to 1-1/4" thick I believe in one application. I does require the area to be primed ahead but that generally can be poured over with leveller in about 1-3 hrs depending on conditions. As long as the primer does not stick to your finger you are good to go, if you apply it to thick it takes along time to cure (I speak from experience on that one).Here is a link to specs.
https://www.nca.ca/product/underlayment ... 227kg-7730
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:54 am

I forgot to ask what you are putting down for flooring?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:02 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:54 am
I forgot to ask what you are putting down for flooring?
I am most likely going to be using DMX Airflow and carpet to keep headroom at maximum.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 am

Oh so this does not need to be perfect. A 1/4" here or there you will never feel und a carpet underpaid and DMX. DO you have a picture of the area? You maybe wasting your time and cash with leveller?

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 am
Oh so this does not need to be perfect. A 1/4" here or there you will never feel und a carpet underpaid and DMX. DO you have a picture of the area? You maybe wasting your time and cash with leveller?
True, The left side of the basement had the old floor drain/laundry room so it was super dippy there, but that has all been relocated.
(The far left side is where a dry bar counter will be going that dip is around 3/8ish", but shows more flat over a 6' span.
floor1.jpg
floor1.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 243 times

This pic is the left side that was super bad. sliding the 10' piece of steel track over it across the entire width shows pretty flat, but when i switch it to the length it has the occasional dip.
floor2.jpg
floor2.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 243 times

This pic below is the right side of the basement I didn't level out yet. Putting the steel track across the width/length really only has a 1/2" dip within the first 2-3' of the wall. Perhaps I could just get a patching mix to level that up so self leveler doesnt just flow to the areas that are very minor. If I could taper it down to blend in with the existing that may be good enough.
floor3.jpg
floor3.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 243 times

This pic below is the dip going width wise from the edge to the recent self leveller i put down on the other side. 1/2" dip in the middle.
floor4.jpg
floor4.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 243 times

This pic is the dip going length wise, still 1/2" from the edge to the existing.
floor5.jpg
floor5.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 243 times

DanM

Post by DanM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:59 pm

For a few flat spots I wouldn't even bother with more leveller or fancy concrete/cement products since it's just finishing a few little dips. I'd just use either thinset or sand mix mortar.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

And of course I have a different response just to keep you undecided. ;)

I would get those couple of 1/2" dips with the product I recommended . It will flow to about a little less then 1/8" edge and you can take a scraper and feather that little edge out a bit when it's dry you will never feel it under carpet. The bar will get shimmed level and flooring will hide any gaps.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm

DanM wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:59 pm
For a few flat spots I wouldn't even bother with more leveller or fancy concrete/cement products since it's just finishing a few little dips. I'd just use either thinset or sand mix mortar.
Like the quickcrete sandmix that is used for setting shower pans? Can it be feathered down to nothing ?

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm
And of course I have a different response just to keep you undecided. ;)

I would get those couple of 1/2" dips with the product I recommended . It will flow to about a little less then 1/8" edge and you can take a scraper and feather that little edge out a bit when it's dry you will never feel it under carpet. The bar will get shimmed level and flooring will hide any gaps.

Dammit! :cry: I may do that lol. I tried the quickcrete sand topping mix with the acrylic fortifier as it suggested... first batch holy crap the rocks in it made it impossible to get it smooth.. so i scraped it up and tossed it, second bag I used a strainer and strained out as much of the bigger rocks that I could.. the second bag turned out way better, Ill check it tomorrow to see if it even bonded, otherwise i will make the trip to Rona to try out the Sika. The only thing I didn't like about the Mapei Selfleveler plus was it legit just wanted to flow to everywhere instead of building up the low spot I was trying to target.. can't wait for this to be over with lol pretty expensive job especially when the products so expensive and it doesn't go very far, Id hate to see the cost to have a professional do it lol.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the Sika 125... picked up 2 bags and primer to try it out, I could've used another bag to bring it up but Ill see how it looks after its done drying. That stuff works wayyyy nicer than the mapei self leveller plus.. super smooth to feather down. I wish I would've used that to begin with... oh well, at least I know what to use if I want to touch up the other dips :D Only s***ty thing is the rona/homedepot here doesn't sell the big jugs of the primer and 1L doesnt get you very much for $19.00.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Glad it worked out well for you