Cabinets Removal

Ask your kitchen related question here
tnconcept

Cabinets Removal

Post by tnconcept » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 am

Hi guys, new on this forum, I watch some of your Youtube videos also been very helpful. I been trying to remodel my house getting it updated and such. There is a lot of project that needs to be tackle here is one that puts me at a stop! I'm stuck attempting to remove the upper wall cabinets. I don't see any screws or nails where they mount these. There are 2 bars going across top and bottom, is it possible that the screws are hidden behind those bars? I manage to get the bottom ones out without any trouble. The thing is that I wanted to reuse these current cabinets for my laundry area and the garage storage so I don't want to put a hammer and go to town. Any suggestion on how they mount these older cabinets? My hands are tied!!! Please help.
Attachments
20190326_060524.jpg
20190326_060524.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 424 times
20190326_060531.jpg
20190326_060531.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 424 times
20190326_060536.jpg
20190326_060536.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 424 times
20190326_060546.jpg
20190326_060546.jpg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 424 times
20190326_060550.jpg
20190326_060550.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 424 times

Shannon

Re: Cabinets Removal

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 am

Most times these cabinets have multiple coats of paint on the interior that is hiding the nails but in your case they are not painted so they should be visible? Another possibility is that they are hanging on a french cleat but it looks like the backs of your cabinets are right against the wall ,if they hung on a french cleat the cabinet back would be off the wall by about 3/4" and the cleat would be hidden behind it.

Find the studs in the wall and then that should pin point locations for nails or screws and they are usually in those wooded "bars" (exposed cleats) inside. What was holding the lowers in place?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am

I agree.

Those are inexpensive "builder's" cabinets, no frills, which means no fancy means of holding them to the wall. Nails or screws should be in the horizontal cleats, or wood bars as you called them, in the back top and bottom of the cabinet. Check every cabinet bay because you never know where you're going to find the fasteners. As Shannon said, find the studs in the wall, then look along the cleats in those areas. There could be paint or wood filler masking their locations. A good strong magnet may help locate the fasteners.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tnconcept

Post by tnconcept » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:29 am

Hi guys I have removed all the doors to take a look and there seems to be wood screws on the others cabinets. Looks like 2 screws per cabinet, does this mean that they are all connected together as a whole? And once I remove all the screw they will all fall out? Thanks again!

tnconcept

Post by tnconcept » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:38 am

Here is a picture for more in-depth, also I have cut a hole on the Sheetrock on top to see if its hollow and it is. So I plan to remove that section and raise the cabinets to make to kitchen look bigger or taller...
Attachments
kithcen.jpg
kithcen.jpg (676.62 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:55 am

Yes there should be screws securing the boxes together inserted through the front stiles (frames) into the cabinets stiles beside it.
What you have circled there seems to be a pretty low amount of screws? Are there maybe some through the tops up into that soffit above?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah, there should be more than 3 screws holding that up there. That is definitely 3 separate cabinets, you can tell by the seam between the short cabinet and the tall ones. There will be screws holding the faceframes together.

As for attachment to the wall, loo under the cabinet, if the cleat is below the bottom shelf, the installer may have run nails/screws through in this location instead of inside where they traditionally are.

Locate the studs behind the cabinet and then use a flat bar between the cleat and wall to pry the cabinet out. Once you get some space you can push the cabinet back against the wall, which will usually reveal any fastener locations. If all else fails, get yourself a gap and then run a sawzall between cabinet and wall to cut the fasteners. You will definitely need at least 1 if not 2 other sets of hands to hang onto the cabinet while the fasteners are being cut.

How to find the studs, if you have a stud finder, use that, if not, look at the wall, see the outlets? Those are attached to studs. You can remove the cover plate and probe OUTSIDE of the box to figure out which side the stud is on, then measure 16" on center to lay out the rest of the wall.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tnconcept

Post by tnconcept » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Alright I will get a bar to pry it out and look for stuff. Thanks guys!