Topgreener 3-way smart switch wiring help

Ask your electrical related questions here
gmbonafilia

Topgreener 3-way smart switch wiring help

Post by gmbonafilia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:01 pm

I am trying to install a Topgreener 3-way kit (want to do a 4-way too but I'll save that for another day). I am trying to control three recessed ceiling lights that are currently on a standard, non dimmer, three way toggle switch setup. My house is brand new in VA and when I took out the switches here is what I found...

On switch 1, I seem to have all the necessary wires and connection seems fairly straight forward. There is a 2 wire coming in with the black wire going to black common screw on the existing switch and the white wire going to the neutral bundle in the box. Then there is a 3 wire leaving with the red and black connected to the brass “traveler” screws. The white wire from the three wire connects into a “hot" bundle on the same circuit (it’s a 2-gang box with a simple on off switch on the same circuit in the other location).

On Switch 2, there is a 3 wire coming in with nothing going out. The white wire goes to the black common screw. The black and red wires go to the brass “traveler” screws. There is no neutral bundle in the box.

The Topgreener diagrams want me to identify the box with the "hot" wire. My tester batteries died right after I started so I didn't disconnect both switches in order to figure that out. Honestly, the white wire to common has thrown me for a loop and the lack of a neutral where switch 2 is might mean this won't work anyways. With the lights off, only the black wire connected to one of the brass traveler screws is hot on switch 1. On switch 2, the white common and the black traveler (or load, I don't know which) is hot.

For Topgreener, they want me to connect a Hot, Load, Traveler, Neutral, and ground to the primary dimmer. To the secondary toggle, it wants a ground, traveler, and neutral; the wire going to the load should be twisted to the other traveler (am I explaining this right?).
I'm assuming at this point that the lights are actually between the two switches in the wiring. Is it possible to use the Topgreener products? Am I thinking about this correctly?
Thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 184 times
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 184 times

gmbonafilia

Re: Topgreener 3-way smart switch wiring help

Post by gmbonafilia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm

On a side note, if I cannot install the three way option, I would be fine with just having the one switch controlled by my Echo. If I understand it correctly, I can essentially convert my three way back to a standard two way setup by "capping" off the three way switches. To do this, I read that I would take the white common wire and twist it with one of the travelers; cap off. Then cap off the remaining traveler. Does it matter which traveler I twist it with? What if I wanted to do the same with my 4-way setup?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm

gmbonafilia wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Honestly, the white wire to common has thrown me for a loop and the lack of a neutral where switch 2 is might mean this won't work anyways.
From your description, it sounds like you have a 3 way switch, with the light wired in the middle.
The only thing that doesn't add up is the white wire to the common on the second switch. Sounds like maybe a DIY job ??
Either way, with this set up, you don't have a neutral at the second switch, so a smart wi-fi switch won't work.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:05 pm

gmbonafilia wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm
On a side note, if I cannot install the three way option, I would be fine with just having the one switch controlled by my Echo. If I understand it correctly, I can essentially convert my three way back to a standard two way setup by "capping" off the three way switches. To do this, I read that I would take the white common wire and twist it with one of the travelers; cap off. Then cap off the remaining traveler. Does it matter which traveler I twist it with? What if I wanted to do the same with my 4-way setup?
At the second switch, you can wire the white common to either traveler ... the only difference will be with whether up or down is on, when at the first switch.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 am

gmbonafilia wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:01 pm
I am trying to install a Topgreener 3-way kit (want to do a 4-way too but I'll save that for another day).
Is this actually a 4 way circuit, but you are just looking at the 2 - 3way switches at each end ?

Another point, if you bypass one of the 3 ways, then how would you turn on the light if you came into the room/stairway from there ??