A few sump pump pit questions

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
mbmsv

A few sump pump pit questions

Post by mbmsv » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I've just watched Shannon's great video on installing a sump pump pit and it answered some of my questions but I am still looking for someone to explain me better what I have now. The pit I have is very shallow and it doesn't have any liner, i.e. the bottom of the pit is just dirt. What you see on the bottom of the pit under the pump is a ceramic tile that I've just put there to replace an old piece of thin plastic. There is this big white pipe going through the pit. I would like to understand what it is but in any case it gets in a way of just digging this hole deeper. So, it seems I would have to move the pit slightly if I want to make it deeper and install a proper basin. There is also a black cut pipe best visible in the top right corner of the second photo for which I would like to have an explanation...

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: A few sump pump pit questions

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:56 am

So the white PVC I would suspect is your main sewer line heading to the street.
The very last picture shows the end of the weeping tile pipe that would be around the perimeter of your basement footing collecting water and then directing it to the pit. That cut off ABS pipe in second picture I would suspect may be a condensate line coming from the furnace AC or maybe from a sink drain in the basement?
There is really nothing wrong with this pit unless it is to small?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbmsv

Post by mbmsv » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for looking. I don't think the white pipe is the main sewer because the big black cylinder in the back on the first picture must be the backwater valve and I don't think it connects to the white pipe... I think the white pipe is a separate drain for the rain water because I believe it is not supposed to be connected to the sewer in my municipality. Although, I may be wrong... With regards to the pit, it is super shallow and I wanted to make it deeper and install a proper basin but the white pipe is in the way of digging, so it seems that I need to cut concrete and move the pit. Does it make sense? And that cut-off ABS pipe, it is not from the furnace for sure, and you can see the drain from the basement sink in the back of the first photo...

Thanks,
/Mikhail

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm

yup you will have to move it to get away from that pipe.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon