Wall stud spacing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tmccar

Wall stud spacing

Post by tmccar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:14 pm

When framing a shed wall, I know that the usual way is to lay out the studs at 16" centres, starting from one end. But if there's a window in the wall, is it not better to find out the window opening size, have a stud either side, and space the other studs at 16", working away from each side of the window?

A. Spruce

Re: Wall stud spacing

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 pm

I use 24" centers on sheds, no real reason to do any less.

Sheds are usually pretty forgiving as to placement of windows and doors, so you can maximize your lumber usage by strategic sizing and placement of these items.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm

I started writing a big explanation to you answer and even i got confused by what it said so here is your short answer. The reason studs are generally layed out from one end is so that sheet goods fit without much waste and end up landing on the center of a stud.On a shed wall 8' long or less it likely would not matter much but in almost all other cases it will lead to waste and unnecessary extra cutting of the sheets to get things landing on studs.
Lay out your wall from one end, marking every stud. Go back and mark your window/door position after that and mark any studs in that area that need to be cut to accommodate the window size.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 pm
Whoa. Controversial. Seriously.

I think I'd do 16. Just to maintain standards.

As long as you're using 2x4s, anyway...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm
A. Spruce wrote:

What standards? Homes are framed on 16" oc, garages,whether attached or not, and sheds are typically 24" oc, at least that's what we have here on the west coast.

DanM

Post by DanM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm
A. Spruce wrote:

The standard is whatever something is engineered or designed for. At work exterior walls are usually 2x6 @ 24" OC because you get more insulation value, except for kitchen walls which go 16" OC to give more places to attach cabinets. Interior 2x4 walls go 16" OC because it's better for drywall and stays straighter over time, and high walls (2-storey walls) are 2x8 @ 12" OC because they need the rigidity so they don't flex/bow over time. Some companies do studs 19.2" OC because it saves one stud per 8ft. They're all standards and all to code, but all entirely different nonetheless.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:45 pm

My garage is 2x4s at 16 OC. I guess it was built more like a house since I have 11-foot ceilings. The trusses that make the span across are all 2x4s too, I think that's normal for trusses.

Yeah I have heard of 2x6 at 24 OC being the new way that houses are framed. Probably saves material cost as well as having the deeper bay for insulation.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:10 pm

There is really no right or wrong as long as the structure is enough. There are variations depending on many factors like insulation, convection of heat and cold, strength,earthquake and other natural disaster situations. I'm sure i'm forgetting some as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Dan and Shannon made the point I was trying to make and failed, and that is that framing is based on the needs of the structure.