The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Aaron

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Dia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 pm
Opinion time: What's the best State to visit last-minute (not New York)
Oh so New York is *obviously* the best state to visit so you will deign to visit another state? lol

It's a crazy question. It would be like me asking the best place in Canada. Though I have a high school friend in a condo with a spare bedroom on Yonge St in Toronto, I dream of visiting Banff and Lake Louise in Alberta, while also wanting to party in Niagara Falls, ON.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 pm

All sarcasm aside, I think a place that would give you a crazy-weird USA experience is Las Vegas. Not terribly expensive.

After that, save your money go to Washington DC.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:02 pm

"Best state" is dependent upon your preferences regarding climate, topography, and temperate range (lush green/desert/high desert/coastal/etc)

If you like to lush green, and underbrush in your forests, you'll come to the Northwest, which is NorCal, Oregon, and Washington, pretty much anything west of the I-5 freeway that bisects these states.

I hear that the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee are beautiful, but quite frankly, I find rednecks, the bible belt, and politics of the area to be rather hard to bear. While there are "seasons" for such things, I'm also not a fan of tornadoes or hurricanes, which eliminates the entire eastern seaboard and central states.

A funny side note, anyone not from the west coast fears the earthquakes that we tend to get. I have never once experienced one in all my years, and I'm a born and bred west coaster. That is not to say that we haven't had some doozies, I've just never been present where one has occurred.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 pm
All sarcasm aside, I think a place that would give you a crazy-weird USA experience is Las Vegas. Not terribly expensive.

After that, save your money go to Washington DC.
I would take Lake Tahoe over Vegas or Reno. Tahoe is in the high Sierras, and is a beautiful lake surrounded by forest. If you're into gambling, you get that there, but there is so much more to the area than just gambling. Reno and Vegas is all about gambling, and little else beyond that, and both of those are smack dab in the middle of the desert, so if that is your thing, those places are fine. Besides, if you went to Tahoe, you might get to meet your favorite curmudgeon! Not only that, you'd get to see his shiny 'Burb too! ;) :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 am

I guess that would depend on many factors including what you are doing. Any time i'm South its for vacation situations so of course we have been to places like Florida,California,Nevada,Hawaii,North Dakota. I would like to do a RV trip sometime driving through Montana likely? And Aklaska would be a nice trip also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am

Aaron wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 pm
Dia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 pm
Opinion time: What's the best State to visit last-minute (not New York)
Oh so New York is *obviously* the best state to visit so you will deign to visit another state? lol

It's a crazy question. It would be like me asking the best place in Canada. Though I have a high school friend in a condo with a spare bedroom on Yonge St in Toronto, I dream of visiting Banff and Lake Louise in Alberta, while also wanting to party in Niagara Falls, ON.
Haha! New York is this weekend with one of my sisters, so I'd rather skip that one (I'd DEFINITELY not call it the best State), and I was wondering YOUR guys' favourite place(s) in the States, out of curiosity/to look into, not asking you to tell me what I would like!!! Lol!!!

However, now that I've heard I could meet the curmudgeon in Tahoe, I'm sold! So, if you never hear from me again...

DanM

Post by DanM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Washington DC was really cool IMHO. If you like museums it's got a lot of different branches of the Smithsonian, and they were all free admission. Great places to take the kids and not have to spend money. My personal favourite was the air and space museum. They had a space shuttle, an SR-71 Blackbird, lots of awesome iconic WW2 planes including the bomber that dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan. One really interesting one was this Japanese plane that was basically a bomb with a cockpit and a jet engine strapped to it, needless to say those are extremely rare since they only ever flew one mission apiece.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Yeah DC is great. But it's an expensive place to tour. Yeah the museums are all free, their operation is all paid with Fed taxes. So all Americans should visit DC to experience the fruits of their taxes.

Interestingly, DC is not a state. It's a city adjacent to Maryland and Virginia but it's not "in" any state. It's a federal US territory that is just a seat for the Fed. But many Fed departments are in Maryland and Virginia anyway.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Yeah, I think I still have y'all beat, (weighing hands gesture) free museums or (weighing hands gesture and obviously better option) meet your favorite curmudgeon. :mrgreen: :lol:

(icing on the cake) get to see the Burb!

:lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

*no pix allowed
**muffled screams
***Dia who!?!?!?!?

:?

Dia

Post by Dia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm
*no pix allowed
**muffled screams
***Dia who!?!?!?!?

Uh... I just suddenly remembered I'm busy that day... with a really important thing... that's really too important to miss...

Dia

Post by Dia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 pm

DanM wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Washington DC was really cool IMHO. If you like museums it's got a lot of different branches of the Smithsonian, and they were all free admission. Great places to take the kids and not have to spend money. My personal favourite was the air and space museum. They had a space shuttle, an SR-71 Blackbird, lots of awesome iconic WW2 planes including the bomber that dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan. One really interesting one was this Japanese plane that was basically a bomb with a cockpit and a jet engine strapped to it, needless to say those are extremely rare since they only ever flew one mission apiece.
I have a cousin always inviting me to visit her there, and this sounds unique/amazing, so thanks for the tip!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Dia wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm
A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm
*no pix allowed
**muffled screams
***Dia who!?!?!?!?

Uh... I just suddenly remembered I'm busy that day... with a really important thing... that's really too important to miss...
Right. Cough. All these restrictions. No pictures. Wow.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Dia wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 pm
DanM wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm
I have a cousin always inviting me to visit her there, and this sounds unique/amazing, so thanks for the tip!
Oh heck yes take her up on that opportunity. Ride the Metro into DC and check out the sites. I hope to do it again soon myself.

I hope to visit my bud in Toronto. Life is short. Gotta take advantage of your connections.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 pm

You know it's been slow when nobody's posted in here in the past 5 days!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:51 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 pm
You know it's been slow when nobody's posted in here in the past 5 days!
I know! No general BS or electrical issues. Even nutzy was following up with a guy on inspection results from like a month ago...

5CC31DFB-657A-48AD-BA4A-3FCDA35894B4.jpeg
5CC31DFB-657A-48AD-BA4A-3FCDA35894B4.jpeg (84.08 KiB) Viewed 336 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Hey, where'd ya get that fancy shirt?!?!?! :mrgreen:

Without much traffic to keep me busy, I've turned to adult beverages as well. :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:51 pm
I know! No general BS or electrical issues. Even nutzy was following up with a guy on inspection results from like a month ago...
Yeah, it's slow everywhere, and the few Q's we are getting seem more to Shannon's strengths than mine. :cry:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 pm

I was damn impressed with the concrete driveway advice you gave. More than I knew for sure.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 am

Wow your not kidding, its very quiet the last few days. Oh well enjoy it cause it will get crazy again soon.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am

Aaron wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 pm
I was damn impressed with the concrete driveway advice you gave. More than I knew for sure.
Just something you pick up when you've done it a time or two. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed May 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Shannon wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 am
Wow your not kidding, its very quiet the last few days. Oh well enjoy it cause it will get crazy again soon.
When it warms up a little more people will want to start building their decks and sheds.
A. Spruce wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am
Just something you pick up when you've done it a time or two. 8-)
Yeah that's interesting stuff.

Up here in the "Bold North" (that's the State of Minnesota's tourism marketing), there are pretty specific codes relating to thicknesses and mix ratios for concrete pads, driveways, and the like. I think the concrete mixes need fiber up here for added reinforcement from the temp extremes we tend to have.

At least if the property owner is altering or changing right-of-way, which here in St Paul includes public sidewalks and driveway aprons (that would otherwise be boulevards). Only city-approved contractors can work on those, and they must be concrete only. The actual driveway between the sidewalk and the garage door is the homeowner's and can be minimal thickness (4" I think) or asphalt and any contractor can do it, including the homeowner.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Aaron wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Up here in the "Bold North" (that's the State of Minnesota's tourism marketing), there are pretty specific codes relating to thicknesses and mix ratios for concrete pads, driveways, and the like. I think the concrete mixes need fiber up here for added reinforcement from the temp extremes we tend to have.
I'm betting that this has more to do with frost heave damage protection than anything else. Here, where we don't have extremes of temp, using reinforced concrete, either fiber or steel, is less common, unless code required for specific needs.
Aaron wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:05 pm
At least if the property owner is altering or changing right-of-way, which here in St Paul includes public sidewalks and driveway aprons (that would otherwise be boulevards). Only city-approved contractors can work on those, and they must be concrete only. The actual driveway between the sidewalk and the garage door is the homeowner's and can be minimal thickness (4" I think) or asphalt and any contractor can do it, including the homeowner.
You're actually talking about two different things, and yes, codes apply to municipal property, which is anything within the roadway easement (sidewalks and aprons) that don't apply to private property (anything outside of roadway easement). I've never had to replace a sidewalk, so I don't know if there is certain contractor requirements for that or not.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu May 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I had to replace sidewalk and get an apron poured where none existed previously. The apron and sidewalk had to be 6" thick. The contractor who performed the work was one of 14 here in the city authorized to do right-of-way construction. I just had them do everything.

In hindsight I'd have hired a general for the whole garage project. It was stressful having that role, as I had no idea about the timing of what gets done when.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu May 02, 2019 5:48 pm

No need to stress out over things, in fact, if you spread your subs out so that they're not tripping over each other or under a time crunch, they tend to do better work. As long as you know the general progression that the work is supposed to follow, the schedule is what you make it. Now, the more folks you are controlling, the more harried things can get, simply because of the volume of work being done and number of workers.

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a General to manage a project for you either. 8-) When I did that big remodel back in '15, the homeowners hired all the people and paid everyone directly, but I found the subs and managed the entire project for them.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 am

With the general there is just the beauty of writing one check and no surprises. All's well that ended well. My garage is like 15 years old already but it's still my baby. lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 am

That's how I felt of hiring subs over employees. With subs, I wrote a check and was done with it, there was no payroll or added accounting/tax crap to have to deal with, which is a huge thing for a sole proprietor that needs to spend their time in the field, not the office doing paperwork.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri May 03, 2019 11:38 am

Yes most definitely. All you need then is a good accountant for your income tax.

I use an accounting firm to handle my taxes as I'm a landlord. My house is a duplex. I lease out the upstairs.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Uh oh, I see trouble lurking! :shock: :? :lol:

(Dia is online) :mrgreen:

Dia

Post by Dia » Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm

I forgot to tell you that I made it home from NYC alive!

Some highlights:

On a plane feeling excited to get there...
received_326819701337823.jpg
received_326819701337823.jpg (298.45 KiB) Viewed 268 times
When two drinks gets you drunk in NYC, naturally it's time for cheesecake!
received_536090713586313.jpeg
received_536090713586313.jpeg (358.79 KiB) Viewed 268 times
When your shopaholic sister makes you shop til you drop.
received_430568377518072.jpg
received_430568377518072.jpg (309.1 KiB) Viewed 268 times
And when you get literal last-minute tickets to a show you had no idea your oldest sister wanted to see, but she didn't come with you, so you pretend she's there.
received_2324474297614056.jpg
received_2324474297614056.jpg (970.65 KiB) Viewed 268 times
I'd have added the 9/11 memorial museum as a highlight if I'd taken any pictures there because it blew my mind with how well done it was! The last time I was in NYC was November 11 2001, and the image of a still-smoking pile of mangled building fragments will be forever burned into my memory. The smell alone I won't forget as I stood at that mass grave with hundreds of bodies still buried in the mess in front of me. They have made the foundation site of each building into water fountains that look like they're collapsing in on themselves and the museum itself is underground below those collapsing-effect fountains. That's just the beginning of how cleverly it's been laid out. Oh, and when I heard the recording of the firemen saying the first building had fallen and theirs could be next, but that they were choosing to go up the stairs to help complete evacuations if they could, and then you hear them die, I cried. I'm so grateful that people choose careers to save others with so much risk to themselves. Let's be honest, I cried a lot in there. Everyone needs to see this place, it's a thing of horror and beauty.

And now, to Tahoe to recover from my NY trip! Soon. Ish. Hah!