Flooring question, particle board or something else?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
njmaas

Flooring question, particle board or something else?

Post by njmaas » Sat May 04, 2019 4:40 am

I am looking into ripping up carpet to expose the hardwood in my living room and dining room. However there is an area that has some sort of particle board instead of hardwood and I'm hoping to get some information on it. The house was built in 1967. I've attached a picture of the material in question.
Attachments
20190504_062043.jpg
20190504_062043.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 120 times

A. Spruce

Re: Flooring question, particle board or something else?

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 am

If your home once had hardwood and it's been covered up, it's usually for a reason, most frequently the flooring has been damaged and removed. Rather than replace the damaged area, particle board or other underlayment material was used to fill in where the flooring once was. What this means is you may or may not have wall to wall hardwood as you might think, the only way to know for certain is to pull the carpet and have a look, just be prepared to find a floor that is beyond restoration. Beyond damage such as described, you will also have damage from the carpet tack around the perimeter and staples that are holding the carpet pad in place. This can all be sanded and filled, but they are blemishes none-the-less.

From the pic, that looks more like a vinyl print than particle board, possibly even a terrazzo type of surface. Again, you may or may not have hardwood under or around it, so be prepared to install new carpet or new hardwood.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

christoff

Post by christoff » Sun May 05, 2019 5:17 am

Just to add, if that is vinyl flooring it may have asbestos in it if installed in 1967.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 am

Ya that is for sure old 60s lino sheet flooring with a terrazzo print, basically the type of flooring that came out before vinyl sheet flooring.It will for sure have some amount of asbestos in it and the glue it was applied with. You can try pealing up just a small corner on the edge (in picture) but it will almost certainly be glued in place with a black tar like glue and if there are hardwoods under it they almost certainly beyond refinishing now IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon