Onward Bifold doors

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
lynnb

Onward Bifold doors

Post by lynnb » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Shannon I'm back to seek more help. This time I'm installing two sets of bifold doors in a closet opening. I have the 2 sets ( 4 doors ) pretty much hung and I realized I'm at a loss as to how are two sets of doors hung as per the centre sliding guide in the track, when I put one in each of the centre point pins they butt together when th edoors are closed. I'm installed bifolds like this before but they had the wheels on the top, these ones have the sliding guides with the spring on each end, same as the single bifold you installed here https://www.house-improvements.com/inst ... oset-doors. These are Onward bifolds.
Thanks Again
Lynn
bifold.JPG
bifold.JPG (42.25 KiB) Viewed 286 times

A. Spruce

Re: Onward Bifold doors

Post by A. Spruce » Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 pm

The sliding guides are probably supposed to touch and press against each other, this back pressure is what keeps the doors closed. I would start by setting the door pin so that the track guide is slightly forward of the edge of both doors, and slowly work the pin location until you get the spring tension where you like it with the doors closed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm

yup both door pins pop in the guildes. Adjust the door gap to what you want so that the doors operate without rubbing the door frame. Generally about a 1/8" to 3/16 gap between the doors work nicely.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks Shannon so only one sliding spring thingy is needed? Does the door on the right pin slide right in next to where the left door is in between the two springs now? I don't think I'm understanding. If two sliding spring things are needed they butt up too close and doors won't close.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm

No two guides ,one for each door. they will touch together when both doors close and the pins will compress the springs as needed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 pm
The sliding guides are probably supposed to touch and press against each other, this back pressure is what keeps the doors closed. I would start by setting the door pin so that the track guide is slightly forward of the edge of both doors, and slowly work the pin location until you get the spring tension where you like it with the doors closed.
Hmmm that doesn't sound right. :?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 pm

I can see in the picture you have both doors hanging , so fold one part way and insert the pin in the guide. Now try closing the door. If it binds against the other door too much one or the other needs to be slid back a little at top and bottom likely. Don't worry yet if they are at the same height . Just get them both closing, then work on getting all your gaps the way you want on all vertical edges. Next adjust heights to get the doors matching up .

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks Shannon that worked, still got some adjusting to do and may have to put the metal door locks in behind to keep them straight. Sure is alot of stress on the top outside pins, I tried lifting the doors as high as I could or at least enough so I could get the bottom adjuster bak in the notches. Really I don't like this type for a 4 door system, I had no issues at all with the other two sets I installed, the type with the wheels rather than pegs in the springs.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm

lynnb wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Hmmm that doesn't sound right. :?
Shannon said virtually the same thing I just did, so I'm not likely too far off the mark.
Shannon wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm
No two guides ,one for each door. they will touch together when both doors close and the pins will compress the springs as needed.
As Shannon points out, there are a lot of adjustments to be made to bring double bifold doors into alignment, height, side to side, and angles to set your gaps properly. With those set, then you'll adjust the center guides until they're touching with just a bit of tension, this keeps the doors from rattling and opening by themselves.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am

These are the only style you will find anymore and they work fine . I would suggest you use the metal brackets for the bottom of doors for sure ,it helps them to align when closed.

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks guys , great information. Shannon basicly for my doors I cut them the same length and width as the other room as the finished opening was the same and even got the same doors but hardware changed. I'm thinking with this style of hardware maybe the doors need to be a bit slimmer to allow for this type of hardware, as where the two sliders must butt up against each other. Really I think what would work better is if the inside top door holes for the pegs were moved 1/2" so there wasn't so much pressure when they butt up against each other. It was just last summer I did the other two closets with the wheel type hardware.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 am

Ya the doors would be about 1/4”-3/16” narrower then opening (each set) if I had to guess off top of my head

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 am

Ok got it figured out, I removed a 1/4" of the spring in each of the slider and got them all adjusted up nicely, thanks again Shannon.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Good thinking.