Freestanding Deck

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Ntracy23

Freestanding Deck

Post by Ntracy23 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am

Hello. I plan to build a freestanding deck part of the way around my pool (20' x 16'). Part of the area where footings are needed use to be a concrete slab that I sledge hammered out (a mistake in hindsight). There is at least a foot of highly compacted crushed stone in this one section (along the house and where the middle beam would be) and I know I will have a hard time digging footings. My question is, can I use those concrete deck piers/blocks in the areas where I can't dig, and then dig footings in the other areas? This deck will not be attached to the house as I mentioned. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Freestanding Deck

Post by Shannon » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 pm

really kinda depends on the soil conditions local codes and also if that will allow the deck to be stable enough with it not anchored to the ground. Free standing decks that are high off the ground are much more stable when the support posts are in the ground IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon