Laminate Bathroom Counter

Ask your bathroom related questions here
magee.brittany

Laminate Bathroom Counter

Post by magee.brittany » Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 pm

I just bought a prefab countertop from HD for my bathroom reno and it overhangs in the front by 4". My vanity is 21" deep and the original cultured marble countertop is 22", hence the 1" overhang. The laminate countertop is 24" deep but if you add the integrated backsplash its 25". I can't cut the back because of the backsplash and I can't cut the front because of the decorative edge. Did I buy the wrong thing? I guess I bought a countertop for kitchens? Do they make prefab laminate for bathrooms? Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
20190525_205027.jpg
20190525_205027.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 105 times

A. Spruce

Re: Laminate Bathroom Counter

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 25, 2019 9:05 pm

What you bought was a kitchen counter top, they don't really sell laminate vanity tops.

Yes, you could actually cut the backsplash off. 1st, do your drawers clear the lip on the counter, if not, then you can't use it, if so, then you will cut the counter to the depth you want and install that, then you cut what remains of the counter top off of the backsplash and install that on top of the countertop. In doing this, you maintain the existing height of the backsplash.

Why is this possible? When you have a laminate vanity top made, it is done in two pieces, the counter top and the backsplash are separate pieces. Counter top goes in, then the splash is set. The joint between the two gets caulked with your choice of caulk. I prefer acrylic latex, such as Dap kitchen and bath, others prefer silicone, which is much harder to work with, and IMHO, doesn't offer any benefit for the added drama involved to use it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

magee.brittany

Post by magee.brittany » Sat May 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you for the response. The drawers clear the lip but just barely. I thought about just cutting the backsplash off as you suggested and then reinstalling it on top just wasn't sure I wanted to do the work if I could find a countertop for a bathroom already done. Good to know they don't make them! Thanks again.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm

You can certainly have one made at a cabinet shop, but it's not something I've ever seen off the shelf at a big box.

You might want to add a shim under the countertop to raise it a bit for better drawer clearance. Paint sticks or a piece of reversible baseboard would suffice.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 26, 2019 6:56 am

You could even use a penny or two stacked up as shims, a little dab of caulking or whatever between them will keep them in place. We in Canada do not use pennys anymore but it seems everyone has some around.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon