Expansion Tank

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
jvelaz1971

Expansion Tank

Post by jvelaz1971 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:00 am

Hi Shannon,
Hope all is well. I have an expansion tank that is attached to the main water line coming into my house. Drops of water is dripping out from the part that I circled. See photo. I recently had a sewage pump that went bad and water just backed up from the bathroom toilet. I am not certain if the issue I had with my sewage pump going bad is what caused the dripping but since the day the pump stop working; the dripping began. Would you happen to know what the dripping is from? Do I need a new tank or can I just replace the part that is circled? Is this something that I can take care of myself? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Expansion Tank.JPG
Expansion Tank.JPG (70.66 KiB) Viewed 207 times

Shannon

Re: Expansion Tank

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:12 am

I am not 100% sure but I would assume that may be some type of pressure relief valve? If so I would think you could shut off the water ,drain the system and remove and replace. Take this picture with you to a local plumbing shop , They will know what you need for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm

ok I understand when you say it turn off the water. However, when you say drain the system; what exactly will I be draining? I have another expansion tank which is hooked up in the boiler room which I believe is connected to either my gas boiler or water heater. Not really sure how it is connected.
thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 pm

You need to relieve the water pressure from the system and hopefully drain everything from the lines above this point. Other wise have a bucket handy when yo remove this relief valve because water will drain your way for sure.
Just take a photo of this to the plumbing shop before you go to all the trouble of removing it. Be sure you an get a new one and that they figure that is the problem.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 am

oh ok...I will give that a try. Thank you so much!

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 am

oh one more question. Does the expansion tank have water in it? If there is any water in it and If I drain the valve, will it get rid of the water?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm

it will have some water but the way its hanging it will neither drain or cause issue.