Insulating Tight Spaces at the Eaves

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
lynch1

Insulating Tight Spaces at the Eaves

Post by lynch1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 am

What is the proper way to insulate above the top plate in an attic. Due to the slope of the roof in my garage I only have about 3" between the top plate and the roof sheeting. I want to put about an R30 in the attic but space is really tight at the eaves which prevents putting much insulation there.

Shannon

Re: Insulating Tight Spaces at the Eaves

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 am

You first need to install insulation stops . Theses allow air space for ventilation coming from the eaves up into the roof space to not be blocked by insulation . After that you can insulate right up to them. Obviously the outer foot or so will have much less insulation and R value then the rest of the roof .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynch1

Post by lynch1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks Shannon. That is what I was thinking, just needed to confirm. Can you use rigid foam as the stops?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Yes you could .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynch1

Post by lynch1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 am

Perfect, thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:53 am

I have a video that kinda deals with what you are asking about. I did the job from above while doing a reroof project but you will get the idea of what you will need to do.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8f1YJ ... ex=14&t=0s