Basic wiring inquiry

Ask your electrical related questions here
da324

Basic wiring inquiry

Post by da324 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi all,
I'm wiring a shed and I have enough wire to come in one side of the shed and go all the way around close to where I came in and terminating at the light switch. My question is, can I branch off the home run wire coming into the shed and go one way to the outlets and a short run the opposite direction to the light switch? This would save me a bunch of wire and roughing in. Thanks for any advise.

Shannon

Re: Basic wiring inquiry

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 am

Yes for sure. Easiest is likely to come in either to the switch or first receptacle first and then split off from there. You will want to use a 3x2x3 box to accommodate all the wires at that location
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

da324

Post by da324 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

Shannon,
Thanks for the reply. The most convenient place to branch off is between the first outlet and the light switch. If I went to the outlet or switch first, I'd have to backtrack to get power in the other direction. I was going to use a junction box where the home run comes into the shed and just take off in two different directions. Is that method still safe or do I have to work off of an outlet or switch first? If so, how is that different from branching off where the power comes in? Thanks for you help and videos, Keep up the great work!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:06 pm

da324 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am
Shannon,
Thanks for the reply. The most convenient place to branch off is between the first outlet and the light switch. If I went to the outlet or switch first, I'd have to backtrack to get power in the other direction. I was going to use a junction box where the home run comes into the shed and just take off in two different directions. Is that method still safe or do I have to work off of an outlet or switch first? If so, how is that different from branching off where the power comes in? Thanks for you help and videos, Keep up the great work!
You can kill 2 birds with one stone then !

You require a 'disconnect' for the branch circuit. So, wire a switchbox where the cable enters and label that POWER.
Then branch off to the light switch and receptacles from there.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Why the disconnect for a shed? I have never heard of that?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 pm

All outbuildings (shed or detached garages) need a disconnect means at the building itself. I know here in St. Paul the light switch is fine.

Think of it like wiring the light switch at a furnace.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 pm
Why the disconnect for a shed? I have never heard of that?
Because you don't need it where you are !! :mrgreen:

The disconnect is required under NEC. Ontario code (Ontario amendments to CEC) also require a disconnect.

CEC does not.

... For the OP, it's handy to have and helps with his wiring anyways, whether it's required for his area or not.

Nice to see code that is consistent eh !! :roll: :lol:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 pm

I see, ya we definitely don’t have that here in Saskatchewan

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:08 am

Pain in the butt when a state/province/city decides to impose additional codes on top of national codes!

Just gotta check with your city/town or whatever and make sure whether they are "special" or not. lol

rdreese48

Post by rdreese48 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 pm

In replacing an outside light fixture, I noticed three wires coming into the box; going back to the switch{single} the hot wire line was two wires but the outgoing was three? On the switch it has the black as the hot wire and the travel as a red wire which is a three way wire; in the 3way the blk is single capped and the white is gangs was the wh on the incoming hot line. Now back at the light fixture box there are three sets of wires { 3 outside light fixtures} all the black were ganged and the white were too, but the red was by its self and when I turn on the wall switch the red is the hot traveling wire; now the other light fixtures outside have not worked and they are have 2way wire. Might I also assume that the single red out of the three way be connected to the black gang wires since it is the hot traveling wire and and keep the white wires all ganged together. Not sure why a single 3 way was used in the middle of a single circuit? any info would be appreciated.
This is an older home and was worked on some years by adding the two additional outside light fixtures.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Not really sure what you're asking. Is your lighting circuit working? If you're just replacing a light, you should just be able to connect the new light the same as the old.