Help finding a straight Adapter, 1/2 NPT Female x Male

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
basicman

Help finding a straight Adapter, 1/2 NPT Female x Male

Post by basicman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am

All,

I am looking for some help finding a specific plumbing part. It is a straight Adapter, 1/2 NPT Female x Male to extend the shower's drop-ear elbow that is recessed in the wall up to the tile wall.

Here's my current situation, where I have a brass drop-ear elbow (1/2" NTP) recessed in the wall. There is a 3/4" gap between the end of the fitting to the tile's wall surface.

Here's what I want to accomplish, which is installing a thermostatic valve with S union.

I just want to extend the current fitting to be flush (or slightly recessed) with the tile wall surface. I guess I am looking for brass, lead-free, straight Adapter, 1/2 NPT Female x Male. The thing is, they don't sell that a the big box stores here.

Any clue what I need and where to get it?

Thank you!

A. Spruce

Re: Help finding a straight Adapter, 1/2 NPT Female x Male

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find something that short. You can buy or make an adapter all day long, it's just going to be about 1-1/2" to 2" long. This is where you needed the forethought when you were doing the plumbing inside the wall, the nipple could have been placed to accommodate the adapter or set out flush with the finished surface.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Ya I’m not sure you will find anything this specific in size. Try a actual plumbing shop.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

basicman

Post by basicman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Well, it looks like this extension fitting is readily available around the globe in the BSP standard (most of the world except Canada/USA) but not in NPT. And they make it with very specific lenght like 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, etc.

Source: https://www.oeg.net/en/tap-extension-sh ... -802002557

Anyway, I ordered this fitting from Amazon and will see if it fits once threaded.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000BQ ... UTF8&psc=1

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm

thanks for the update, let us know how it goes. The fitting you ordered can probably be cut down ever so slightly if needed. You can't cut much because plumbing threads are tapered so that the tip of the nipple is narrower than the heel. As the fitting is tightened, a wedge affect occurs, forcing the joint to be as tight as possible. It is because of this taper that you can't remove much, or you won't have enough room to fully seat the threads and wedge effect.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 am

Interesting ,never seen one
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Good luck, hope you can make that work. Otherwise, this may be very obvious, but can you access the plumbing from the other side of the wall? If you remove drywall from the other side you may be able to undo some straps and finesse the plumbing it so it's flush with your finished wall on the other side. Apologies if this is wishful thinking...