Tricky baseboard at bottom of stairs

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
aleblanc

Tricky baseboard at bottom of stairs

Post by aleblanc » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm in the process of planning my renovations. I'll be redoing all my floors, baseboards, casings.

For my baseboards/casings, most of it looks like it's going to be fairly straightforward. My stairs are the pre-assembled kind; the skirting board has routed-out slots to fit the treads/risers. At the top of the stairs, the skirt board ends only about 1.5" higher than the floor level, so I'll just have my baseboard flow continuously onto the skirtboard, then along the skirtboard, all the way down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, the skirt board ends several inches from the floor level, so I'll need to have a miter to make it go vertical for a few inches, then an other miter to make it go back horizontal to join the baseboard on the lower floor. No issues so far.

Now at one of the staircases, the stairs end right at the end of a wall, so I don't have enough room to go vertical and then horizontal (ignore the babygate and the gross carpet):
moldings1.jpg
moldings1.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 229 times
I tried to figure out a way to get this baseboard stuff to look nice:
  • go horizontal a few inches before the end of the wall, go around the corner, then miter to vertical, then down, then miter to horizontal, then around the other corner
  • add a return downwards (i.e. into the skirtboard), then have the bottom floor's baseboard all the way around the corner then do a return.
  • can't really do a return "into the wall" because I'm not horizontal
I don't think any of these would look nice, so instead I was thinking of extending all the trim flush to the wall and adding a block to cover it all:
moldings2.jpg
moldings2.jpg (160.35 KiB) Viewed 229 times
moldings3.jpg
moldings3.jpg (155.59 KiB) Viewed 229 times
I think that's the cleanest thing I can do. The skirtboard doesn't extend all the way to the end of the wall (~0.5" missing), so I thought I'd use some kind of wood filler to extend it (maybe a thin piece of wood to make up the bulk of the volume to fill, then filler).

My other area of concern is the flooring height transition between the kitchen (cement board plus porcelain tile) and the stair landing (laminate). The laminate is 12mm plus 2mm padding; the tile is 9.8mm plus 6.35mm cement board plus thinset. So I imagine the tile will be about 10mm higher than the laminate.
moldings4.jpg
moldings4.jpg (133.05 KiB) Viewed 229 times
I see three options:
  1. Have the baseboard do a height transition in the doorway (e.g. do 20 degree up, then 20 degrees down)
  2. Rip the baseboard where the floor is highest (baseboards are 3 7/8" tall)
  3. Raise the landing by plywood to match the height of the tile (3' by 7' area)
What do you guys think?

A. Spruce

Re: Tricky baseboard at bottom of stairs

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 pm

It's been a very long day for me and I don't have the capacity to fully understand your predicament or resolutions at the moment. Hopefully Shannon will be along soon and can assist. I will return asap to offer some assistance, it just isn't going to happen tonight, unfortunately.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:31 am

Your idea of the block at the bottom of the stair stringer is about the easiest and a clean finish at all points.

For the floor height changes between rooms :

I would not even consider option #1

Option #2 :I would cut the bottom of the kitchen trim only if that trim soon after entering room ends butting into an object that you will not chase around (like a cabinet base) then all other areas could be left full height without most anyone noticing.

Option#3: is a good option since you have the flooring removed and it is a small area that will not require too much cost to do.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

aleblanc

Post by aleblanc » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks Shannon and Spruce, I'll use the block for the end of the wall and I'll probably raise the floor with some 3/8" or 7/16" OSB (whichever ends up being closest to the height difference).

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 am

I agree with all of Shanon's points.

Looks like you've got your plan in place. Post pix when you get it finished up. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.