Floor Tile installation in 2-3 days

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Manyakus

Floor Tile installation in 2-3 days

Post by Manyakus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:06 pm

We are currently renovating the floor house entrance that is shared with the guest bathroom (which is linked by one door).
Our tiles are 24 x 24 with 1/16th grout line.
We are using Perfect Level Master (T-Locks) for the leveling.
The way the two rooms are, it is very hard to tile the complete floor in a single day, and since it is my first time doing this massive job I don’t want to risk it.
So it must be done in 2 or 3 day.
My question is:
How can I insure that there won’t be lippage between the tile that was installed the first day and the tile that will be installed the second or third day if I can’t level them together at the same time with the T-Locks?

My feelings tells me I'll do the bathroom the first day and the rest of the job on another day, so the junction is at the bathroom door.
Attachments
20190806_073636 .jpg
20190806_073636 .jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 276 times
20190806_073631 .jpg
20190806_073631 .jpg (76.28 KiB) Viewed 276 times

A. Spruce

Re: Floor Tile installation in 2-3 days

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Just use care to set the tile as flat and true as possible and it will be easy enough to start anew the next day.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 pm

I have only used those clips twice before and finished them all in a day. But if it was me I think I would just make sure that last row is flat in relation to the row before it . Slip the clips in tight up under the tile into the mortar, without lifting tile. This should have it in a good position to lock in the wedge the next day.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

christoff

Post by christoff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 am

When you stop tiling for the day, put a leveler clip under the last tile and put a scrap piece of tile beside it with no thinset under it and install the wedge and the tile will be at the right height the next day
Attachments
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg (194.62 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Manyakus

Post by Manyakus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 am

Thank you for the tip!
The scrap piece of tile for the last tile is a great idea.
Should I need to shim just a bit to simulate the absence of thinset for that scrap piece of tile?

Thanks again!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

that is a good idea. You should not need to shim up the scrap ,it will pull up with the wedge.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Manyakus

Post by Manyakus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:22 pm

I asked the company and they replied me to see one of their favorite Tiler Installers on Youtube,
Link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jTtt5c ... e=youtu.be

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 am

“Christoff” for the win!

Manyakus

Post by Manyakus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:33 am

Ok I have more info from the company.
They recommend to shim the scrap tile (cardboard/wedges,scrap wood) for big tiles.
It would prevent sagging when the thinset cure.

Below is my question to them:
"Thank you for the link. I know his channel, but didnt see this video in particular.
Sal DiBlasi is T-Locking some scrap tile with the installed tile to hold the base of the spacer tight snuggly up against the installed tile so the next day you dont get a wider grout line.
Would that method ensure that the installed tile won't move up or down (lippage) when the thinset is cured?
The scrap tile that is temporarly installed and T-Locked does not have any thinset, so the overall thickness is a bit smaller compared to the installed tile + thinset.
Should I need to shim the scrap tile piece to simulate the lack of thinset?
Because from what i understand is that the Tile will pull down when you tighten the wedges."

Below is their response:
" Our clips are specifically designed to hug the bottom of the tile, so the clip itself does not sit in the thinset. However, due to the size of the tile we would suggest putting a form of a shim under the scrap tile (cardboard/wedges, scrap wood) as it will not only keep the last tile flat and prevent it from sagging, it will also protect the clip from being damaged if someone happens to knock into it!"

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Good info.

christoff

Post by christoff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:18 am

I have used this method many times and always works, and Sal is one of the best tile setters that you could find!