How to prep house for attic insulation?

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
llAPll

How to prep house for attic insulation?

Post by llAPll » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Tried searching on the forums, but didn't see anything about this in the last little bit, so decided to start a thread.

I am in the process of looking to re-up attic insulation and will likely go with fiberglass or cellulose. I have a toddler and baby in my house and wanted to ensure I prep the house well before the contractors come in and have a thorough clean up plan after they're gone. My main concerns are the fiberglass that's in the air and on surfaces after the contractors go.

1. What's the best strategy to ensure my toddlers or even myself won't be breathing this stuff in.
2. If the contractors do a good job, should there be minimal or next to nothing escape from the blower or attic?
3. Since the attic opening is in my walk in closet in the master bedroom, should I put plastic tarp/covering all over that room to ensure fiberglass doesn't get on anything like the clothes or bed?
4. If above is done, will removing the tarp cause the fiberglass on them to just go back in the air?
5. Having all the above, if the answer is, yeah tough luck there's no way about it, I'm probably going to lean towards cellulose just for health and safety concerns.

Thanks in advance for responses!

A. Spruce

Re: *** How to prep house for attic insulation ***

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:53 pm

I am not a fan of blown fiberglass, that stuff is nasty enough in batt form, loose fiber is just a huge mess waiting to happen and definitely more prone to becoming airborne. Given a choice I'd go with cellulose over fiberglass.

If you choose fiberglass, I would not rely on the contractor to be overly fastidious in their prep or clean-up of their work, God forbid they have a hose failure or some other problem that dispenses insulation into the living area. So, if it were me, I'd at least cover the clothes in the closet, if not remove them from the room. I would also give them the shortest access route from outside to the attic access and request that they tarp and seal this passage. You will probably pay more for the extra caution, but it would be money well spent to alleviate your fears or pay for itself if there is a disaster during the process.

If you choose cellulose, then other than being a bit messy, I wouldn't worry about fiber or dust. You'd still want them to be as careful as possible, but excessive tarping wouldn't be necessary. Definitely cover everything in the closet and probably floor runners from closet to exit point, but other than that I don't think I'd worry too much about it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: How to prep house for attic insulation?

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:21 am

Yup cellulose for sure for all of the above points.
Also I have seen what some people call a war in closet and they are very tight once cloths are hanging . This person is coming in there in work boots, likely white coveralls, gloves, goggles and a mask ,carrying a ladder and dragging a 5" hose. I would clear out the clothes from the closet , put down a carpet runner and push the bed out of the way if the path is tight at all. The easier you make it ahead of time the less chance there is a problem when they get there. These are all things you could have ask them when they are there looking at the job initially as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon