Roof Safety Bracket + Trimming Singles

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
HamiltonHome

Roof Safety Bracket + Trimming Singles

Post by HamiltonHome » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am

Hey everyone. Two roofing question:

1. When working with a safety harness, what's the best procedure for placing and removing the loop that goes on the ridge? I don't want to bolt it to an area of new shingling as it would presumably create many holes but it has to go somewhere.

2. What's the best way to trim back excess shingle material overhanging the sides? Some of the singles have been left too long and the overhang on the sides is inconsistent. Is there a better way than trying to use a utility knife? Also, what's a good amount of shingle overhang beyond the drip edge for the sides? (Not the bottom.)

Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Roof Safety Bracket + Trimming Singles

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:52 am

I can't answer the first question, as I've never used a safety harness.

As for the second question, a utility knife is all I ever use when cutting shingles, whether it's before or after they've been installed. A blade doesn't last long, so don't be afraid to change them often.

For shingle overhang, I use the tip of my index finger, tip to first knuckle which is 3/4" to 1". Any more overhang than that and it starts to droop, so that's where I like to keep it. If you were to go to a shingle manufacturer's website, they should have a spec on overhang amount. If you're laying new shingles, flip the shingle upside down and face down with the edge you want to cut overhanging the roof, you can then mark, cut, then flip over and install. Save your cuts from one end to use on the opposite end, this keeps factory ends together for good joints and aesthetics.

For cutting back shingles that have been installed, this is a bit more difficult and time consuming because you have to cut through 2 to 3 layers of shingle. Just take your time, change your blade as necessary, and use a scrap of 1x4 as a cutting guide to keep the edge straight and even.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:50 pm

I also have not used a harness and by no means am I saying you should not. Please use it.
These brackets are left behind in 75% of the cases now because someone will need it down the road. To begin with you need to as safely as possible climb up and secure it to the peak, preferably near the center of the roof. From there you can tie off to it and use it. There will be a couple times afterwards when you need to remove it and reposition ,once after stripping the old roofing from under it ,second to shingle under it. Once the new shingles are installed re attach it over the new shingles and leave it up there.

For over hang I like no more than 1/2" .

Use a hook blade shingle knife and it will make the trimming job easier. I think there is even a hook blade for oscillating saws that would really make this task easier .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

HamiltonHome

Post by HamiltonHome » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:07 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll order a hook blade attachment for my oscillating saw. It looks like a fast job with that.

As for the safety harness, I had not considered leaving the bracket up but it's an interesting idea. The roof is 7/12 which I know isn't *that* steep but it was very helpful having the rope to grab when moving around. That said, this project has eliminated any desire to do roofing work in the future.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 am

7/12 is for sure a slope where being tied off is needed. I would leave it there when finished.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon