Da 'Burb

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
A. Spruce

Re: Da 'Burb

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:31 am

They all are. They're akin to the receiver plugs that say "remove to tow <enter brand here>", truck nutz, and all the other ridiculous things people say and do with their vehicles.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 am

Just drove my sister's burb (actually Yukon XL) back to my garage from the airport, the fam is heading down to Orlando.

She left me an empty tank; it cost me $70 to fill it. Yikes, not used to paying that much in gas!

Also a push-button start. Fancy!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

Yep, Burbs are thirsty beasts! Mine has a 31 gallon tank, it gets spendy REAL quick! Oddly, gas prices are down to $3.33/gallon right now, which is a welcome relief, but still spendy to fill up.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Our gas price here right now is 115.9 cents per litre. So that is like 4.47 a US gallon and even worst if I convert that to US dollars...Somewhere around $6 a US gallon in US dollars. Think about that for a minute and let that sink in....LOL

When I was in BC last March it was around 150cents per litre. ..quick math basically $7.90 /US gal
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Yup, no matter where you are, the price of fuel is ridiculously expensive.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm
Our gas price here right now is 115.9 cents per litre. So that is like 4.47 a US gallon and even worst if I convert that to US dollars...Somewhere around $6 a US gallon in US dollars. Think about that for a minute and let that sink in....LOL

When I was in BC last March it was around 150cents per litre. ..quick math basically $7.90 /US gal

There are 3.79 liters to a US gallon, so $1.16 CAD per liter times 3.79 liters is $4.40 CAD per US gallon; that converts to $3.35 USD per US gallon in Canada.

That's roughly the prices along the west coast of the US, which are always the highest in this country, save for maybe Alaska, Hawaii, and perhaps like downtown NYC or something.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 am

Aaron wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 pm
Shannon wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm

There are 3.79 liters to a US gallon, so $1.16 CAD per liter times 3.79 liters is $4.40 CAD per US gallon; that converts to $3.35 USD per US gallon in Canada.

That's roughly the prices along the west coast of the US, which are always the highest in this country, save for maybe Alaska, Hawaii, and perhaps like downtown NYC or something.
Oops I kinda went the wrong way on the us /can. $ conversion lol,lol my bad!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:22 am

Made for a great story though😊

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 am

Shannon wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:22 am
Made for a great story though😊
Yeah the gas was probably cheaper in BC than Sask, too, you're making up all sorts of crazy stories. Lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 am

FWIW, I've been tracking mileage since I bought the Burb. There were some inconsistencies with tracking through April, which have been rectified.

So far, a low of 10.89, when she had nearly 2000 pounds in her trunk (keep in mind, she's a 1500, or half ton model), and a high of 17.04 during a road trip. All that averages to around 13mpg, not as good as I had hoped, but I also wasn't expecting much better than a 14 or 15mpg average. She obviously loves to run on the highway and but hates city driving, which is most of what she does. I'm also a gentle driver, no rabbit start/stops, and rarely put my tootsie in the carburetor to pass or prove a point to a dumbass. :twisted: :lol:

Interestingly, my driving habits drastically changed (re: improved) once I got the Burb. I'm much more laid back and easy going now. Most of it is that I'm no longer in a rush or worried or stressed about how many miles I'm driving, which has been a thing for the last 4 or 5 years driving the roommates truck. :roll: :|

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 am

Question for those still reading along. What brand oil filter do you use and why? I've been using AC Delco, but am not sure I want to stay with it. I used to use Fram until the mid 90's when they started getting a lot of bad press. I've been reading through Bobistheoilguy's site and everybody seems to hate everything, so, here I sit, contemplating my naval lint, and trying to find the sanity in what appears to be a heated topic.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:44 am

I always try to buy original brand oil filters, simply because they have to meet a high standard. The el cheapo filter makers don’t need to warranty your engine so they don’t necessarily need to give a crap. If GM uses AC Delco filters on new vehicles under warranty then you can trust that brand for sure. Same for Motorcraft for Ford engines, etc. Fram isn’t even on my list. Wix is good though.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 am

That was my thinking as well when I switched to AC Delco. What I don't like is that ACD seems to have gone to a plastic core, which doesn't excite me.

Wix/Napa seem to be the same filter manufacturer, I'm not opposed to them, though I think Napa is over priced.

What kind of oil change intervals you doing on your rigs, everyone?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 am

For my new civic, I've been using FRAM because that's what's available in synthetic filters at Canadian Tire. I generally use Castrol oil.

Oil change intervals vary for me ...

Rule of thumb, 8 cyl - 5000 miles
6 cyl - 4000 miles
4 cyl - 3000 miles.

If I'm working the truck hard, I'll change it a bit earlier. If it's mostly highway in the car, I'll go a bit higher. I usually check the oil, and sometimes do it quite early if it's starting to get a bit dark.

My last 2 Civics both called for synthetic, and they say about 13,000 km between oil changes. I don't trust that and usually go about 8,000 km. Generally the oil is still quite clear at 8k, but it's a new car and if I end up keeping it, she should last a long time.

Highest mileage vehicle was my '85 Prelude. I bought it 2 years old with 40,000km , kept it for 14 yrs.
It had 400,000 clicks on it when I sold it ... And was not burning any oil.
My Blazer is close now too. It's at 295,000 km ... When the plate is due, I think it will be junk time ... Engine purrs like a kitten, but the body is pretty much shot :( .
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 am

What kind of oil change intervals you doing on your rigs, everyone?
When the light on dash says change I change. Just looked it up and last change was 7844Km (4902MI)
These newer trucks have so much more oil in them now they can go longer for sure. Mine takes almost 8 L (about 2 US gal.)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:41 am

I always changed my 95 sierra at 3000 to 3500 miles. The 02 sierra dash light comes on at about the same interval. According to the owner's manual, the Burbs dash light is also around 3000, which I know I'm getting close to. I check the oil frequently because the filter has a slight leak and so far the oil is still really clean at nearly 3000 miles. The guys at BITOG are recommending going by color and/or 7k miles. I'm not used to that length of time, so I'm a bit skittish, but also know that synthetic oil can go longer. My former mechanic was recommending 5k oil change intervals (OCI)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:44 am

FWIW, the Burb takes 6 quarts. It's the standard 5.3L vortec engine

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Currently have 3,132 miles and still no oil monitor light.

Finally putting the finishing touches on the bodywork. The clear coat was fogging in a number of places, as well as the "orange peel" you get from freshly sprayed paint/clear coat. Got some buffing done with the bodyman neighbor's help, but ran out of buffing compound. I picked up more and hopefully we'll finish up this week.

Other than that, nothing new to report. Although, I may have found the rattle/flutter issue I was having, not sure yet. From the get-go, if the Burb sat for more than 2 or 3 days, there was a flutter/rattle, like a loose heat shield or something. I was under the hood doing something and noticed that the plastic engine cover was a bit loose. Tried to tighten it, but it was already as tight as it was designed to be, so I took it off. This was a month ago, and I've not noticed the noise since. I can't believe it was this simple, but if it is, I'll just figure out how to tighten it down a bit, or firm up it's moorings at least.

The perplexing thing is, the noise is only present when the Burb sits for a few days, even then it's an intermittent issue. One would think that if it was something loose or failing (some have suggested the cats are failing) that it would happen at every start-up, hot or cold, sitting or not, but alas, that hasn't been the case. Time will tell if I've found it or not. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Things like this can be frustrating to sort out

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Yes, yes they can!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:15 am

Aw just sell it and get the truck you know you need now that your going back into business!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 am

But . . . But . . . The Burb and I have bonded, I can't get rid of her now!!!! :? :cry: ;) :mrgreen: :lol:

I do have to say, I'm minorly upset that I allowed the bodyman to talk me out of touching up all the dings. Before, I only demanded the ones around the driver's door handle be done because I'd see them all the time and they'd drive me nuts. Well, having been working the past few weeks, I'm in/out of the passenger side too, and the dings that were left are annoying. Also, I let him talk me out of touching up the paint on the roof, again, normal use I don't see it and don't care, but now, every time I tie something down or am toweling it off after a trip through the car wash, yup, you guessed it, the paint issues annoy me. Damn OCD!!! :lol:

I need another couple bathroom remodels to afford a truck. My partner says he's got a couple in the works, not sure if I'll be included in them though.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Can you say OCD! LOL.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Oh, you have no idea! :roll: :? :lol: :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Meh, just pull a trailer with your sub. There's your truck bed.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Depending on how the next few months go, I'll either be buying a trailer or a truck, I'd prefer a truck.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:05 am

If you have room for an enclosed trailer that is the way to go IMO. Easier to get in and out of and keep organized. The draw back is finding parking in some neighbourhoods and having parking at home. If that is not an issue I would go that route.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 am

My ideal set up is a truck, canopy, lumber rack, and custom bed boxes. I build full extension tools boxes across the floor at wheel well height, that way I can still get to everything AND carry materials/debris at the same time. The canopy would also have "side wings", meaning the windows hinge open just like the rear hatch, which gives full access to the entire bed of the truck.

I don't remember if I posted pix of the toolbox I built for the Burb, I had a very similar setup in my work truck. You'd be surprised at just how much you can stow and carry with this arrangement.

In other news, my new Dewalt kit arrived the other day, a 9pc combo kit. Haven't even used it yet and it's nice to have my own tools again! :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:35 am

That set up sounds good and practical. I carry...well if you seen my trailer video you know, I carry a small shop in my trailer but it is not always needed.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 pm

This setup has always worked well for me. I can carry most of the tools I need for daily use, plus just enough "emergency" supplies to be able to tackle many unexpected things without a trip to the store or loading my specialty tools and supplies.

For instance, I always had a length of 14/2 and 12/2 wire on board, as well as plenty of wire nuts and that sort of thing, but, if I knew I was going to be doing electrical work, then I'd load up my electrical supplies for that day or segment of the job. Same concept for fasteners, I've always got a supply of just about everything, but certainly not enough to frame a room addition or build a deck or drywall an entire project.

I can absolutely see, as a specialty contractor, the need for a job trailer to be able to have all the specific needs of your trade close at hand. As a general contractor, I've just never needed to have THAT much stuff on a job at any one time. I create daily lists of materials and tools that I need to bring for the next day's work. If I need more than that, it's usually time to call in a sub-contractor for the job. :mrgreen: On that note, hey Shannon, what's your phone number?!??! :| ;) ;) :mrgreen: