Installing Laminate on Top of Uneven OSB Subfloor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jess&Juju

Installing Laminate on Top of Uneven OSB Subfloor

Post by Jess&Juju » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi,
I am wishing to install laminate flooring on my basement floor which once had carpeting. The OSB flooring has some areas where it is not level.
How can this be corrected before I start laying down the floor?
Thank you!!

WillLee

Re: Installing Laminate on Top of Uneven OSB Subfloor

Post by WillLee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:49 am

Some laminate can handle certain amounts of unevenness. You can check the installation. You could check to see how uneven it is and try it out with some planks installed.

How do you plan on fixing the unevenness? If it's not too difficult, maybe it's just worth it to do the work.

Jess&Juju

Post by Jess&Juju » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks for your reply, @WillLee. I was thinking of getting some super coarse sand paper and using my palm sander to get it as even as possible. It isn't horrible, but walking on it now I can definitely feel the difference.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 am

So by "not level" do you actually mean level or that the sheets are not all nice and flat and even where they meet?
If they are not flush then sanding the high spots is an option but a palm sander is not going to do it. If the un evenness is a 1/8" or less then I would not worry too much, if they are more then that then sanding may be what you have to do. Drive any nails or screws deeper and then use a belt sander or floor sander with really course paper . Alternatively you may need to feather things out with some floor patch or leveller.
Laminate flooring will span some unevenness but will have spongy spots after ,LVT or LVP flooring will conform to some unevenness because of its more flexible quality.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jess&Juju

Post by Jess&Juju » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks you, @Shannon. Yes, it's more so where the boards meet and there is some lift. I will try to screw the screws in some more and see if this will help then look at using a belt sander.
Thank you!!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 am

tightening the screws may help but I was more so saying to sink them down so they do not rip up your sand paper when sanding
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jess&Juju

Post by Jess&Juju » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

Okay, gotcha! Thanks so much for the advice. Because I'll be putting the flooring directly on top of the OSB, do you think I'll need any additional pad underlay?

WillLee

Post by WillLee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:31 pm

I think this is more of a personal preference. I hear some people do it for comfort or for sound insulation (if you're installing it on the main floor or upstairs). The padding may also help with some unevenness.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 am

Ya if you are doing laminate I would use an under pad as well for sure.