Copper to PEX-A

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
pshep123

Copper to PEX-A

Post by pshep123 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm looking to convert all my plumbing to PEX-A (not B or C) but need to start with the brass and copper coming off of the water pressure tank (picture attached). Once I get the first 3/4" main line to PEX, the rest is easy.

I've Googled "copper to pex-a" and it always shows the conversion using a Sharkbite, which to my knowledge is PEX-B.

I'm trying to avoid a full on sweat / solder fit, but that may be the only way - hoping someone here knows a better way.

Thanks
Attachments
20190908_153011.jpg
20190908_153011.jpg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 884 times

A. Spruce

Re: Copper to PEX-A

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Without a crimping tool, you're likely relegated to a sharkbite fitting, there are other brands that might be what you're looking for. I don't play with pex often, I prefer copper.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 am

I didn't say I don't have a crimping tool (and I'm willing to buy one), but I believe any "crimp" would be specific to PEX-B anyway, so not sure how it's relevant here, but I'm still learning.

Also, does the brass threaded coupling make it any easier?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 am

You have a few options,
1) a threaded shark bite (these fit any Pex or copper) female thread one end and pushfit on other

2) a copper nipple with female thread on one end and crimp or Wirsbo end on other.

I personally would use a Pushfit style fitting but either one will be fine.
From there you are away and off to the races with your project.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks Shannon. So are you saying I can do a Sharkbite from copper to PEX-A? I thought Sharkbite was for PEX-B only. If it will handle PEX-A, do you know where I can buy something like that? Maybe a link?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:00 pm

If you're going to go for PEX-A, I would go for the Uponor-Wirsbo Aqua Pex product that uses the expanding tool that Shannon demonstrates here:

https://youtu.be/xElSwWwdB_E

I think that system is amazing, it is absolutely what I would go with if I were re-plumbing with PEX in my house. If you interface it with copper, you can just get a single piece fitting with a barb on one end which you can then crimp the tubing onto.

If the end of the copper pipe is cut, you may be stuck having to make one solder joint for that fitting. But I think there are ones with the solder integrated into the fitting itself so it's a bit more foolproof than the OG fittings. But if you can find a push-fit fitting that could just slide on to the end of the copper pipe than that is much easier, of course.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:30 pm

Shark bites work with all Pex tubing. Pex A can be stretched and will shrink back to size .
I really can not make out the exact measurement of the threaded fitting you have but it could be 3/4"? Here is one link :https://www.amazon.ca/SharkBite-U068LFA ... ay&sr=8-57
These will be available anywhere you see shark bite or push connect fittings I would think.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks Aaron and Shannon. I think what I'll do is test a Sharkbite to PEX-A connection on a currently decommissioned pipe far from the main and see how that works. If there are no leaks, I'll feel more comfortable doing the same with the main.

Where would you recommend buying Uponor / PEX-A tubing?

I'll report back the results when done.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:56 pm

USA:
https://www.uponor-usa.com/where-to-buy

Canada:
https://www.uponor.ca/Uponor%20Home/Whe ... 20Buy.aspx

I haven't seen it available in any of my major home centers, I think it is more of a professional product. But I do have a Ferguson's plumbing dealer nearby my house so I know I'd be able to order it through them.

If your push-fit (Sharkbite) joint is going to be behind drywall, be sure to find out if your local jurisdiction will allow it. Not all are on board with them yet.

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks again Aaron.

I think I found what I was looking for, and it's made by Uponor (which is peace of mind if nothing else): https://www.supplyhouse.com/Uponor-Wirs ... -Lead-Free. There is a comment at the bottom that really sold me on it: "With these we no longer even need to bring a torch onto our house repiping jobs, we just press on to the main and run our PEX-A from there."

I plan on trying this exact item this weekend (if I can get everything delivered on time) and will report my results.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Well I think that fitting needs some sort of press tool?

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 am

Ugh, you're absolutely right. I have a call into Uponor regarding the Sharkbite connection as well since I'm reading conflicting information about compatibilities.

Thanks for the heads up Aaron, saved me some heartbreak this weekend!

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:07 am

@Aaron, looks like this tool will do the job for the press fittings: https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-IWS-1632AF ... B01CY6UEH6, but I'd love to get your take on it.

And while the subheading in the Amazon link shows "Jaws Suitable for Viega Copper Only", Uponor's own product overview here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse ... erview.pdf shows compatibility with Viega standard jaws.

Thanks.

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 am

@Shannon - not sure why I ever doubted you, but I just spoke with Uponor and they confirmed Sharkbite is not a problem. Definitely going to go that route!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:24 am

Yeah if can find a push-fit to convert copper to PEX, that is your golden key to PEX happiness.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:39 pm

pshep123 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 am
@Shannon - not sure why I ever doubted you, but I just spoke with Uponor and they confirmed Sharkbite is not a problem. Definitely going to go that route!
I don't know why you doubted me either? ;) :lol:
This will really be easier using the female threaded sharkbite

pshep123

Post by pshep123 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am

Gents - just wanted to say thanks for your help. I've since replumbed 90% of the house (only exception are copper pipes running in-wall to the bathroom fixtures) and used a combination of threaded (at the main), Sharkbite (at the PEX / copper junctions) and expansion fittings for the rest of the PEX-PEX connections.

Purchased everything (except the expansion tool) at supplyhouse.com and have been very satisfied with their selection, service, and speed.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 am

Glad you had a successful project.