Baseboard/Trim esthetics

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
oxide

Baseboard/Trim esthetics

Post by oxide » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 pm

hello,
after watching Shonnons baseboard/trim videos and having enough money i wanted to start and finish off the basement.

one thing though, my floors aren't perfectly level (dri core over self leveling cement and vinyl flooring) and i was wondering (and i know everybody has a personal preference) what is the best way to keep it looking nice as possible if everything else isn't level?

level baseboards and caulk top and bottom perhaps?

Shannon

Re: Baseboard/Trim esthetics

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:02 pm

what type of flooring? If its carpet there is no problem you can press the trim slightly into the carpet and most un evens of the floor will be hidden. If its a hard flooring like wood, vinyl, LVP, laminate or those sorts of things you can end up with some small gaps between the baseboards and the flooring. I personally would not caulk these gaps as it will look worse over time with dust and such. If its really bad you can scribe the baseboard to the floor but that is a lot of work.
As for the edge against the wall, its kind of preference thing for most people. I like the seamless look of the edge being caulked to the wall, but doing this leads to cutting in the paint color on both sides most times. If you don't dust is attracted to the caulking over time and looks dirty all the time also some caulking will yellow over time and look dirty, if you paint the caulking dust can still settle there but wipes clean easily and it also does not yellow then.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 pm

It really depends on just how bad your floors are out of alignment with the baseboard. You can "force" the baseboard to contour the floor to a degree, but if you are too forceful, then the baseboard is wavy and draws attention to itself, which you do not want. If you leave the base perfectly straight for the eye, but have large gaps under it, this isn't going to work either, aesthetically.

I am a proponent for caulking, but it really only works if it's white or almond, if you have to paint it, then it will be a PITA to apply and maintain. Alternatively, you can buy custom colored caulk, but the odds of matching the color you want with the custom colors available are pretty slim. Basically, custom caulks are usually shaded toward grout colors, they are not actually custom mixed to your needs.

If you have an 1/8" or less gap and can use a bright white caulk, then it will be a fairly maintenance free thing. If you need a specific color of caulk, then scribing the base to the floor and NOT using caulk would be the way to go.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

oxide

Post by oxide » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 am

thanks for the help guys.