Question on moisture barrier

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Gstaniforth

Question on moisture barrier

Post by Gstaniforth » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi all im new here to the forum and may be postingnin the wrong spot. Please forgive me if i am. I live in winnipeg and own a bilevel home that i am hoping to insulate the basement of. Have watched your videos on moiture barrier and such on the bilevel you did and saw you used poly... if i wanted to use foam on the bilevel would this be an option for the concrete portion of the basement? I will be framing a full height wall infront and adding r value as you did in you video on the bilevel insulation. Not sure how i would properly transition to the above grade framing using the non flexible rigid foam insulation.... thoughts? Should i just use poly method? Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Question on moisture barrier

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:23 am

Yes foam is fine and personally I would just use it against the concrete and ontop of the concrete ledge. Above that you don't need a moisture barrier and can just fill the cavity with bat insulation.You will still need a poly air/vapour barrier before the drywall is installed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Gstaniforth

Post by Gstaniforth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 am

Another question.. my home was remediated for mould growth leaving no insulation ir vapour barier left. I was told i should prime with delux gripper the wall cavities prior to insulating... would this cause an issue? Not letting the house breathe? Exterior ia buffalo board with stucco and wood siding.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 am

You should be fine with the primer.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Gstaniforth

Post by Gstaniforth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:33 pm

I just wanted to make sure that it doesnt act as a second vapor barrier or restriction... the primer should still allow any moisture within the wall cavity to dry out? Sounds ok to you?

Just never had this type of a situation before or ever had the interior of a wall cavity on an exterier wall primed before.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:38 am

Yes you will be fine with one coat of wall primer.