New to the world of plaster walls.............help!

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
CanadianGP

New to the world of plaster walls.............help!

Post by CanadianGP » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I just moved into my first house that has plaster walls and have 2 questions...........for now.

What's the best way to install a chair rail?

What product should I use to fill several large (1.5") holes in the walls.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Re: New to the world of plaster walls.............help!

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Chair rail is just a wood trim casing that is tacked to a wall. So the best way is to use good tools: a laser level, 18 gauge brad nailer, and miter saw.

A very large hole would probably require a piece of drywall about the size of the hole to patch it. Smaller holes can be patched with mud and tape.

Shannon

Re: New to the world of plaster walls.............help!

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:00 am

I have also found that brad nailer will usually do the trick and a small dab of construction adhesive as well will help hold it firmly in place. Just remember this construction adhesive will damage the surface if you remove the trim in the future .If you do not have access to a brad nailer you can predrill through the trim and wall into studs and install regular trim nails with a hammer.

Patching that I have done i've been able to use drywall and tape and mud the area floating the patch area out in the end. I have never used actual plaster so I can't speak on that.We have a resident Plaster guy here ,"Clarence" hopefully he will be by soon with some insight for you also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon