Sunroom over Carport on Concrete Slab - Insulating floor

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
PotterFamWoodworking

Sunroom over Carport on Concrete Slab - Insulating floor

Post by PotterFamWoodworking » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello all! I've enjoyed Shannon's youtube videos, did a quick forum search and didn't see what I was after.

Attached is a sketch for the below.

I've a carport sitting on a 6-8 inch concrete slab that's been parged over for "looks."
I've got a fully functional, sunroom above it with flooring installed. The floor gets cold in the winter.

Was thinking that I could frame and foam board the carport's ceiling (bottom of slab) then panel over it to insulate the sunroom floor. (Also the sides, sort of a framing/boxing in)

What's the best way to do this?

Thank you!
-Randall
carport-sunroom.jpg
sketch
carport-sunroom.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 70 times

Shannon

Re: Sunroom over Carport on Concrete Slab - Insulating floor

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Im not sure anything is going to keep it warm but what you have planned may help, it will be a lot of work IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

PotterFamWoodworking

Post by PotterFamWoodworking » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:51 am

Thank you for that. It seems like it would be a lot of work - maybe I'll just focus on getting the attic insulation beefed up over that area (it's way too thin) and see how that works with some thermal curtains and a space heater.

Again thank you Shannon!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:39 am

What type of flooring is in the sun room?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mikeyitis

Post by mikeyitis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 pm

What state do you live in? The floor is always going to be cold in the colder months even after insulating it. Those conditioned rooms above unconditioned spaces are always a pain to keep warm.
Carpet and a space heater help though. You could also try installing in floor heat.