Foundation wall crack fix

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mbrini

Foundation wall crack fix

Post by mbrini » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

I wanted to share what i did to my foundation wall to fix a couple of cracks.
French drain was done on december 2018. Cracks are patched from outside, when i removed old walls to improve my basement , i discovered 4 cracks (one of them is 3/4'' wide).
Spray foam+ siks concrete fix+ 24" steel plate with 1/2 by 4 anchors.
For cracks going from floor to sill plate, i'm using 3 steel plates
maybe i went crazy, but i think it's worthly to spend 350$ before new walls will be installed
1.jpg
1.jpg (28.72 KiB) Viewed 107 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Shannon

Re: Foundation wall crack fix

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I cant say for sure that it will fix the problem but it cant hurt.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbrini

Post by mbrini » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:19 pm

why aren't you sure? something else has to be done?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 pm

It depends on what has caused the cracks in the first place. Minor cracks around 1/8" wide and not shifting inward or outward generally are pretty common and not usually a huge concern needing really no attention if they are not letting water through ,cracks 3/4" wide would say to me that there may be something going on that needs some attention like a bad foundation or excessive pressure from outside because of heavy traffic and maybe frost push especially if there was some inward or outward movement as well? Spray foam ,sika concrete and a metal plate will not likely fix the issue if it is more serious.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbrini

Post by mbrini » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:15 am

Oh yes you're 100% right. When french drain was done, the compagny told me that the main problem was water infiltration underneath my basement slab (they confirmed inspection report before buying). I had a huge bump due to the freeze thaw cycles that caused pressure on foundation structure. No helix pier system was needed (if they said the truth lol).
When the basement slab was repaired, no pyrite,
i added the steel plates to help foundation against potentially pressure or heavy traffic four couple of years. Peace of mind at least for 5 years is fine for me lol.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 am

Ok sounds good.