Unlevel floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Sprague22

Unlevel floor

Post by Sprague22 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Going to be installing pergo lvp floor and noticed my entire hallway dips a little bit so its unlevel. Is there a solution for this, i feel it will be noticeable with a vinyl plank floor
Attachments
20191005_162439.jpg
20191005_162439.jpg (87.77 KiB) Viewed 110 times

mbrini

Re: Unlevel floor

Post by mbrini » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:41 pm

you can use self leveling compound

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 pm

I don't know about "self-leveling", but certainly floor leveling compound. It is a dry mix, add water, and trowel into place.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am

Yes I agree ,a levelling compound is what I would use. Most can be pretty much self leveling but if you just try and fill the low spot you will end up with a slight lip at the edge most times about 1/16" - 1/8" high. This will need to be shaved off a bit usually the edge of a flat bar or even paint scrapper will do the job.

IMO for the slight dip you have i'm not sure its worth the effort? Looks like you may have 3/16" in 10"?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am
IMO for the slight dip you have i'm not sure its worth the effort? Looks like you may have 3/16" in 10"?
It really depends on how OCD you are. When I laid hardwood in my last house, I did not pull the vinyl (on slab), I just laid over the top and floated out the edge to bare concrete and I regretted it every time I walked across that section of floor, which was multiple times a day. While you couldn't see it, you could definitely feel it under your foot and it was highly annoying. That's what happens when you're OCD about stuff, to someone that is less discerning, you might be able to get away with it.

IMHO, it just isn't that hard (or expensive) to mix up some leveler and trowel it in. I would use leveler over self-leveling for the exact reason you stated, the ridge that forms due to surface tension of the product. With a troweled product, you can layer it in to the exact depth you want without excess or that surface tension ridge to deal with.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.