s2 staples

Ask your electrical related questions here
jackson3

s2 staples

Post by jackson3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:13 am

might be a dumb question, but I just wanted to double check- by code can I use s2 staples to staple a single 14-2 cable? or should they be used for stapling 2 cables? seems local stores just stock s2.
thanks

Shannon

Re: s2 staples

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:46 am

That will be fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:28 am

Really? The S2s are for the double-stack of 14-2 or 12-2, right? It's okay to use them for just one? Won't it flop around under the staple, or is that ok?

I wish we had those nice staples here... look at the crap steel staples we have here in the US:

You can pound these until kingdom come and totally ruin your cable. For this reason, it's much safer to use the plastic ones down here.

CSA actually specifies and approves staples. NEC or UL does not, which is ridiculous. Instead we require AFCI breakers to compensate for poor materials and careless electrical workmanship. Here's the CSA code:
Rule 12-508 Bending and stapling of cable Approved staples with stops are required to be used to limit the depth of penetration (see Figure 12-16). Approved staples are tested using a single non-metallic sheathed cable. Unapproved staples such as fence or poultry netting staples are not permitted.Image

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:32 am

A single 14/2 wire will have a little more movement but if that is all he can find I would use that before I would use a staple without the depth stops. Maybe just space them a little closer together if it seems the wire moves to much?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Yeah I might use the plastic ones in his case, then, so long as it's indoors. Because those plastic ones DO break outside--I can tell you that from personal experience. The cold makes them brittle.