Wall switch for outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
Bluesv6

Wall switch for outlet

Post by Bluesv6 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:08 am

With my living room project going to add a light switch so I can control the bottom of a duplex outlet.... Just the bottom half and the top hot all the time....

Question I have is fishing and running the new wire.... Saw there is a simalar thread about pot lights.... Question about running the wire... Thinking of cutting the bottom of the drywall where the base board will run.... Doing about a six inch base board and drilling holes in the cross studs....and installing nail plate.... Vertical studs as I have read here and online don't require staples if I am fishing.... Correct? Have previously fished wires from a previous home owner and they aren't tacked in.... Also considering putting in nail plates.... Where would u find those?

Shannon

Re: Wall switch for outlet

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:47 am

Ya on a fishing job you will not get any staples in usually but if you can place one into the bottom plate in the wall were the wire drops down and were the other end heads up to the receptacle . Cutting the drywall at the baseboard area is a great place also if you have a crawlspace or basement you may be able to drop down there and run your horizontal distance then back up. The nail plates are great (and required) if you can not drill close to centre of the studs. Most places will have them that sell electrical supplies many times they are sold in packs of 5 or so.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon