Pre-hung door Right or left

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Ionagael

Pre-hung door Right or left

Post by Ionagael » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 am

Just watched your video on replacing preying door. Great job. Just to be sure, I need to replace a similar door. Like the one you replaced, I want it to open into the room and facing the door from inside the room the hinges are on the left and the knob is right. Does this mean I need to purchase a "left" or "right" door. Thank you.

Shannon

Re: Pre-hung door Right or left

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 am

The door hand is determined from standing outside the room or home the door is entering. So standing in the hallway in your case the hinges are on the right side and the door is opening away from you so that would be a "right hand "door.
If the same door was to open towards you while standing in the hall it would be "right hand reverse"
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:53 am

In US commercial work, hinges are called "butts", and to find which 'hand' a door is, you stand in the opening butt (yours) to butt (the hinges) then your arm becomes the door swinging either left handed or right handed.

Determining "reverse" handing can be tricky. In commercial work all doors inherently swing outward from the room or area to allow best fire egress; those which swing the other way are called "reverse". A "Left-hand reverse" will then be a nominally right-hand door swinging inward. In residential work the doors inherently swing inward (except for closets which are opposite) so a "reverse door" is one which swings outward from the room or area (again except for closets).

If you're not dealing with blueprints and simply want to know what to buy, forget about 'reverse', just stand in the opening and follow the commercial "butt to butt" rule, and you'll end up with the door you wanted.

Phil

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am

Mastercarpentry wrote:In US commercial work, hinges are called "butts", and to find which 'hand' a door is, you stand in the opening butt (yours) to butt (the hinges) then your arm becomes the door swinging either left handed or right handed.

Determining "reverse" handing can be tricky. In commercial work all doors inherently swing outward from the room or area to allow best fire egress; those which swing the other way are called "reverse". A "Left-hand reverse" will then be a nominally right-hand door swinging inward. In residential work the doors inherently swing inward (except for closets which are opposite) so a "reverse door" is one which swings outward from the room or area (again except for closets).

If you're not dealing with blueprints and simply want to know what to buy, forget about 'reverse', just stand in the opening and follow the commercial "butt to butt" rule, and you'll end up with the door you wanted.

Phil
Never heard of that one "butt" it works well! LOL
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm

"Butts" are also numbered in pairs, so a heavy door needing 3 hinges for exterior security use would be listed as needing: "1 1/2 pr NRP BB Butts" which translates to 3 ball bearing hinges with non-removable pins. There's a "Door Schedule" section which accompanies the blueprints that tells you the details; only the door opening and it's exact location to it's center are shown on the prints. No sizes, no swings, nothing except the scale drawing of the door opening and where locate it's center. The Door Schedule also lists size and type of type of door, same for the frame, doorswing, closers, any fire ratings, openers, panic bars, coordinators, hold-opens, locksets, bumpers, and stops by manufacturer part number so each door set has 4 to 20 lines of specs referring to it. Often some part will have a single digit or suffix letter different for a specific location and it's easy to mess up if you've got say 50 doors to do. Only the site's top carpenter(s) get to do the doors because of that, and every one of us remembers the single time we got chewed out for a mistake- it does NOT happen a second time, EVER!

Phil

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 pm

I remember about 15 yrs ago when I was in commercial work. Our company built a med clinic and it was decided by the company that they would save some money having us machine all the 1-3/4" x 36 x 80 solid core oak doors ourselves to fit the steel frames. Me and another guy where given the task. We had 70-80 some doors to do. The frames where all the same other then swing so we used a metal jig used for routering the door hinges out (I'm sure you have seen and used one). You set it up and it spaced out for all 3 hinge positions at once. Some where along the line the middle hinge jig got reset for a 4-1/2" hinge size from the 4" we had started out with. Still to this day I have no idea how it happened? Needless to say we had over 30 some doors that we had to cut a filler piece to fit the 1/2 extra wide space. luckily they turned out pretty good or it could have been pretty expensive gaff!
Remarkable enough 2 years later they had us do the same thing on a large hotel expansion (paint grade doors this time) The mistake that time was instead of having a couple of us do the task (many more doors this time) 3 different crews did the task. There were mistakes again by some groups as the frames and door widths were not all identical and it proved pretty confussing with so many people involved. I'm not sure what the door supplier would have been charging to machine the doors but I think in the long run it would have been worth it. Its a pretty relentless job with such large #s of doors.Plus handling large heavy doors like that is a real pain!

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Though I'm unlikely to need it now, I finally bought my own hinge routering jig when one came up cheap on Craigslist. I've used them a-plenty in the past like you have. Sad to say but my back can't handle work like that anymore though I can still do a few each day so I'm still good with residential work.

Those in the trade wanting to learn about hanging doors would do well to begin with industrial/commercial metal doors and frames set in masonry where you have no choice but to make the door fit the holes since you can't readily cut or move either one. It won't take long before you can look at a hung door and know exactly how much to shim the hinges and where to get a perfect fit first time 'round. I know every trick there is with these but that will likely die with me since I only do residential work now.

The downside of being a door carpenter is that you will find yourself critiquing the fit and function of every door you pass through for the rest of your life.

Phil