Ledger Board Obstruction

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Havocmann

Ledger Board Obstruction

Post by Havocmann » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Hey,

I'd like to extend my deck but I have a concentric vent coming out the side of my house where I'd like to extend the ledgerboard across. The section next to it is cantalievered (sp?) so I don't think I can attach there. Thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (598.86 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Shannon

Re: Ledger Board Obstruction

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 am

You will simply cut the ledger on each side of the vent. You can also have a ledger attached to the cantilevered section as well if the deck is that wide.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Havocmann

Post by Havocmann » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks Shannon. Really enjoy your channel.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 am

Glad to hear!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 am

Based on what the vent is for, it might be wiser to relocate the vent so as to not interfere with it's functioning. Ditto for what appears to be the outlets or cents on the right if you're going that far. You're probably OK with the cantilever, however you do not want to add any substantial load there or you may end up with the floor bowing upward inside the house. If I had any reservations about that I'd add 2 posts under the deck or house at those corners.

Thanks for including a good pic with your OP; that made it far easier for me to understand and I wish everyone did that!

Phil