Moisture Resistant Drywall

Ask your bathroom related questions here
JohnJWJR

Moisture Resistant Drywall

Post by JohnJWJR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm gonna be doing a complete renovation of my bathroom, ripping everything out to the studs. For the walk in shower I'll be using the Schluter-Kerdi Membrane, I want to use a moisture resistant drywall instead of concrete board, am I ok with "green board" or should I be using a different product, and what thickness would you recommend

Shannon

Re: Moisture Resistant Drywall

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:04 am

Moisture resistant drywall is just fine under Kerdi. You want to use 1/2" drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

mariasmith54

Post by mariasmith54 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 am

Yes, the moisture resistant drywall will be good to use.

madonesi

Post by madonesi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm

can you not use Kerdi Board as you are using Schluter products?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes you can use Kerdiboard instead of drywall with Kerri fabric over it
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

madonesi

Post by madonesi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Yes you can use Kerdiboard instead of drywall with Kerri fabric over it
Any negatives on using kerdiboard?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Up front cost is more expensive and you may need to add some extra framing support. On the upside I think it is quicker then Kerdi fabric over drywall.

AnnaM

Post by AnnaM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

That is a good decision. Moisture resistant drywall helps to prevent the growth of mold.

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 pm

MR board has a slight waxy coating which makes bonding kerdi fabric a little more difficult than it needs to be. Aside from the cost, there is no need for the MR board behind the kerdi. The MR board does little to nothing for the mold
Attachments
24.jpg
24.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 51 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Houston Remodeler wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 pm
MR board has a slight waxy coating which makes bonding kerdi fabric a little more difficult than it needs to be. Aside from the cost, there is no need for the MR board behind the kerdi. The MR board does little to nothing for the mold
What is the other layer between the tiles and the MR drywall? Almost looks like more drywall??

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

More drywall. This is my competition. At this rate I'll work forever

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am

I would agree somewhat ,I'm not sure MR drywall is a game changer in mould prevention. In Some places it is required in bathrooms. I think in your picture there was more of an issue with there being two layers of drywall. Once that first layer got wet and started growing it went right through to the MR drywall. IMO

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm

The manufacturer doesn't allow the use of MR board in wet areas unless covered with a membrane; 6. Not suitable for use as a substrate for tile in wet areas such as tubs and showers, gang showers and other areas subject to direct water exposure. 7. Use as a tile substrate is limited to tile installed according to the most current TCNA and ANSI specifications.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Yes I understand that, My point is I wonder how it would have looked without the extra normal drywall over top of it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:24 am

In my experience, once the waterproof surface has been compromised, it doesn't matter what the substrate is made of, it's going to grow a layer of black mold and release the surface material. IMHO, most of the problem boils down to regular cleaning and maintenance of the surround. Those that get it last just fine, those that don't fail an untimely death.

I've seen the same problems with solid surface surrounds (cultured marble ), tile, FRP, Pionite, PVC, and other types of surfaces. Once the caulk fails, the substrate is soon to follow. Workmanship plays a part as well, but lack of cleaning and maintenance are the largest contributing factors of failure.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:24 am
In my experience, once the waterproof surface has been compromised, it doesn't matter what the substrate is made of, it's going to grow a layer of black mold and release the surface material. IMHO, most of the problem boils down to regular cleaning and maintenance of the surround. Those that get it last just fine, those that don't fail an untimely death.

I've seen the same problems with solid surface surrounds (cultured marble ), tile, FRP, Pionite, PVC, and other types of surfaces. Once the caulk fails, the substrate is soon to follow. Workmanship plays a part as well, but lack of cleaning and maintenance are the largest contributing factors of failure.
I agree maintenance and cleaning is key to the long life of a shower.