A few questions before I install new vinyl siding

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
travishauch

A few questions before I install new vinyl siding

Post by travishauch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi. I live in northeastern wisconsin and have a ranch home with a hip roof. It currently has fiberboard? siding on the top half and aluminum siding with some white foam backing on the bottom half. I'm looking to tear that off and replace with vinyl siding.

I pulled off a little section of siding to see what's underneath and it is tar paper. I've read online with mixed feelings. Could I leave it on instead of re-wrapping the house if the tar paper is intact? The house was built in 1963.

2nd question. The front half of my house is brick. I'm looking at how to address the corners because the edge of the brick is flush with the house instead of sticking out past for the j channel. I was thinking about notching an outside corner piece but I don't think that is going to work because the top half corner looks to be farther back on the house. (hopefully it's explained in the picture.)

My third question is in regards to the final row of siding where it meets the eave. My current siding measures 8' which I'm guessing would end with a full piece. Am I going to have issues securing it at the top? Should I start a little lower/higher? If it works out, should I use a j channel and undersill trim or can I use just the undersill trim?

Thank you very much. I love watching your videos!
Attachments
siding.jpg
siding.jpg (357.91 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Shannon

Re: A few questions before I install new vinyl siding

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I generally remove the tar paper and discard it so that I can be sure there is no rot or other issues being covered up. I then use a house wrap to cover the walls and finally siding over that.House wrap is really pretty inexpensive ,maybe about .10cents a square foot depending where you live.
It looks like the brick will be slightly proud of the plywood once you get the siding off so you can just butt a J channel up to the back side of it in most cases and a corner on the upper area above the brick section.
The point where your last row of siding will end depends on what the width of the siding you have chosen is? It generally ends up ending at what ever point it will end up and either a J channel or a J channel and undersill trim will work up there. I order enough of both and return what I do not use.Once you know the exposure of your new siding you can get a pretty good idea of where it will end up being cut at the top and you can adjust the bottom starting height a little if you need to.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Shannon wrote:I generally remove the tar paper and discard it so that I can be sure there is no rot or other issues being covered up. I then use a house wrap to cover the walls and finally siding over that.House wrap is really pretty inexpensive ,maybe about .10cents a square foot depending where you live.
Sounds like a good idea. I should take it off to inspect the sheathing.
My local store has these three options. What do you think? Or I could check out Lowes.
https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 6086249177
https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 6877816510
https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... oreId=3141
Shannon wrote: It looks like the brick will be slightly proud of the plywood once you get the siding off so you can just butt a J channel up to the back side of it in most cases and a corner on the upper area above the brick section.
What do you mean? I took another picture to show the edge of the brick. It's flush with the foundation. The side of the J channel would be exposed. But from the looks of it where the foundation meets the brick is too far forward. It won't line up with the outside corner.
siding2.jpg
siding2.jpg (407.23 KiB) Viewed 328 times
siding3.jpg
siding3.jpg (400.99 KiB) Viewed 328 times
siding4.jpg
siding4.jpg (421.3 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Shannon wrote: The point where your last row of siding will end depends on what the width of the siding you have chosen is? It generally ends up ending at what ever point it will end up and either a J channel or a J channel and undersill trim will work up there. I order enough of both and return what I do not use.Once you know the exposure of your new siding you can get a pretty good idea of where it will end up being cut at the top and you can adjust the bottom starting height a little if you need to.
Thank you. I'll see what I can figure out once I start tearing off. I have 2 strips of siding now to finalize the color. I was thinking of cutting them into 3' sections and connect them to get a better idea.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Typar is my product choice, I have never seen the other two you showed.
I see you are correct ,the brick is flush. I guess you could leave that thin piece of wood that is there and butt the J to that? You will then likely need a short piece of J across the top to get under the corner as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Shannon wrote:Typar is my product choice, I have never seen the other two you showed.
I see you are correct ,the brick is flush. I guess you could leave that thin piece of wood that is there and butt the J to that? You will then likely need a short piece of J across the top to get under the corner as well.
That's the j channel for the siding. The side edge is shown. Is that ok to do for vinyl siding? Showing the edge it is currently and not butting up to something?

Also, with the typar and re-wrapping the house, how do I go about getting it under window sills and around edges and such? Or am I just taping those edges and not trying to wrap them inside? (except top of course.) I see some wrap and staple inside but your video shows just cutting the opening out. Only difference is my windows/doors are already there.

Thanks for your help!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Oh thats a J. Ya the vinyl siding J could be done the same way.

Cut the opening out and tape the wrap. After the J is installed I have also started to tape the warp to the J to try and divert water into the J instead of under. Keep your tape back a bit so it does not show after the siding is installed or use a white house wrap tape that does not show as bad as red. My stores have been offering different colors lately.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 am

So I am about ready to start at the back of the house and tear the old crap off. I'm just trying to have an answer for every obstacle I can see. The pictures show the back door and how it was installed. I'm trying to figure out the proper way of siding around it. Should I put a board underneath the door the width of the door including the brick moulding and then run the J along the entire length until the concrete step? Would that put the siding to the edge of the step?

If that's the route I should go, what about the starter strip? Looking around the corner it seems like the starter strip nailing flange would secured into the concrete. I'm guessing the starter strip for the aluminum siding would be in wood.

I'm kind of lost. I appreciate your input. Thank you very much!
Attachments
bd4.jpg
bd4.jpg (488.79 KiB) Viewed 248 times
bd2.jpg
bd2.jpg (463.59 KiB) Viewed 248 times
bd1.jpg
bd1.jpg (495.5 KiB) Viewed 248 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am

I'm not sure why they started the old siding so low but if you want to stay that low then you can use either a started strip of J channel at the bottom.I'm assuming they are trying to cover something up? If you are going to start that low I would start the first row about an inch above the concrete step. You will have to use likely a hammer drill to drill in fasteners for the starter or J into the concrete. This will be slow going till you get them in.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 am

Shannon wrote:I'm not sure why they started the old siding so low but if you want to stay that low then you can use either a started strip of J channel at the bottom.I'm assuming they are trying to cover something up? If you are going to start that low I would start the first row about an inch above the concrete step. You will have to use likely a hammer drill to drill in fasteners for the starter or J into the concrete. This will be slow going till you get them in.
Well I started and so far so good. I did go up a little bit but the mud room is an addition and poured higher than the house. I couldn't go much higher without the sill plate being exposed on the house. Siding will be about 3/4" lower.

Now onto the final course. I have both undersill and dual undersill trim available. Is there a benefit to using dual if I could make the single work? It's going to finish at the top of a lap so it won't need to be spaced out. Do you use j channel at the top with the dual undersill inside or does the dual act like a j channel? The dual I have does fit inside my 3/4" j channel. My house is a hip roof so it is all eaves.

I can attach a couple pictures in the morning.

Thank you!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 11, 2017 5:26 am

I have never seen a dual undersill ?

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu May 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG (506.83 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG (481.34 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG (496.53 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG (468.05 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG (507.71 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Hmm interesting... I have never seen that ever.
Well I would say you really do not need the J if you use the double undersill. Using just the single undersill with no J does not look as good to me , I like that double undersill its a good idea. What brand is that?

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Shannon wrote:Hmm interesting... I have never seen that ever.
Well I would say you really do not need the J if you use the double undersill. Using just the single undersill with no J does not look as good to me , I like that double undersill its a good idea. What brand is that?
Abtco is the brand.

I agree that single undersill doesn't look good by itself. I decided to keep the dual undersill inside the j because the undersill doesn't have the wood texture like the j channel does. And also, it doesn't come out at far. For example under a window, they wouldn't have the same depth.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 12, 2017 5:10 am

Good plan!

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:15 am

I have 2 different size basement windows and the foundation only goes up the lowest one. The wall is notched out for the taller ones. The sill plate is level with the top of the small window.

When I went around the bigger window, I put j channel to the edge (flush). I Now I'm wonder what I should do to cover the wood or if I should take a different approach. I'm only a couple courses up so taking it off to do something else wouldn't be that bad.

Should I have hung the horizontal j channel lower to protect underneath? Right now all 3 sides are flush.

What do you suggest?

Also, my original windows stick out a decent bit. How do that look to you? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
Travis
Attachments
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG (537.61 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG (565.81 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG (534.24 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG (459.07 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 am

Wow it would be great if you could post the pics right side up, It gets really tough to look at those things upside down. :D
I would get some metal bent at a 90 degree angle to cover that wood.Its a nice clean finish then. I use a local eavetrough business for all of my custom metal work. Put it in place and the side of the metal that is going to be covered by the siding can be nailed using shingle nails and then the J and siding re installed. Caulk the other edge were it meets the window and you have a super clean finish.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 am

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help and answering my questions. I finally finished my house. Wish I had more time and that it didn't take me so long. FIrst picture is the old, second is the new.

Thanks again!
house1.jpg
house1.jpg (155.38 KiB) Viewed 40 times
house2.jpg
house2.jpg (169.7 KiB) Viewed 40 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 am

You are welcome! What a nice difference, makes the house look more modern for sure. Good job!