Stucco matching

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
TheNiceGuy

Stucco matching

Post by TheNiceGuy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 am

Hello All
Pretty basic stucco pattern to match, however no sponge floats available. Any ideas what I can do?
Here's a video showing the project and issues involved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkiy82 ... e=youtu.be
Thank you

Clarence

Re: Stucco matching

Post by Clarence » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

You have some options you can try.
1 take a wood float and spray adhesive to attach a piece of bath towel or wash cloth to the face of the wooden trowel use it the same as a sponge float.
2 Buy sheet foam use spray adhesive to attach it to a steel or wooden trowel.
3 Buy as many kitchen sponges as needed to cover the face of a trowel use spray adhesive to attach.
Keep in mind that the texture of the sponge , Foam or cloth material will affect the stucco texture.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm

This is out of my area of expertise so I would go with what Clarence has suggested, sounds like any of those would work?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 am

Clarence is my go-to guy for stucco, plaster, and old masonry questions. He's like an encyclopedia with thus stuff :D

Phil

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am

BTW, welcome Clarence! Are you one of Mastercarpentrys buddies from TOH?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

Yes I was a member of TOH forum.
I am a retired plaster and stucco guy also did a lot of work on Historical buildings to include some of the top 5 historical Buildings in the U.S.
And at least 65 building that are on the National Register.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Clarence wrote:Yes I was a member of TOH forum.
I am a retired plaster and stucco guy also did a lot of work on Historical buildings to include some of the top 5 historical Buildings in the U.S.
And at least 65 building that are on the National Register.

Great to have you around!

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 am

Ok, I shopped around and bought every conceivable spongy thing that might work. I finished part of the project last night, and I show the result and some my questions in this video. I was going to finish the rest of the house tomorrow. It would be nice to know if I'm doing it properly.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2dTQw42t-g
Forgot to show the scratch coat that I'm typically working with so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzVZ3QbWI4

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 am

I'm going to leave this in Clarence's hands , he has the expertise you need.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 am

To start with what is the sand/ Cement mix it should be 3 parts sand & 1 part cement also adding lime would help.
A good stucco mix would be 3 sand ,3/4 cement & 1/4 Lime.
From what I see in the pictures you are trying to texture the product when it is to wet.
I also see a white streak in the finish which indicates to much water.
The finish should be textured when t is dry to the point that you cannot leave a finger print in the surface.
The sand for a good sand finish should pass through a screen wire mesh like a window screen.
That GREEN Sponge shaped item in the photo should leave a very nice sand finish.

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:46 am

Ok thanks guys. Clarence, I use about a 3:1 Portland mix as you recommend.
I've tried to find lime before, and could not. I'm gonna have to get a translator to help me again.
I imagine I'll have to wait until the next day to do the texturing then? I think part of my confusion came from watching videos were he's using rapid set mix, so he's doing it all at once.
Texturing will not alter the level of the stucco? How can I get rid of that bump then that happens where it meets the old stucco? Is that no problem if I'm using a finer grained sand?
I just did your screen test, and the standard sand I use, most of it doesn't go through. The finer sand I just bought goes through no problem. Is that standard sand not a suitable for stucco in general then? Is that finer silica sand easier?
The water streaks were from using a mister to moisten it up making it more workable after it was on the wall.
Edit: Do you think the elastomeric paint will be able to cover up all these textures anyway?

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 am

Texturing will alter the finish level.
To get rid of the bump apply the stucco finish coat proud of the existing stucco.
Than float the newly applied stucco to the same plane as existing.
The Silica sand should be ok to use.
As for misting to make workable only washes away the sand / Cement not a good idea to add water after the stucco is applied.
When you float the stucco you should get a damp fall off of sand / cement.
I also think your finish coat is not thick enough after floating it should be no less than 1/8 inch.
You may want to switch to a Synthetic stucco finish and refinish the entire wall surface with color of choice no painting required.
I don't recommend the use of Elastomeric coatings over stucco.

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks Clarence. Since I am working at night right now when it's cold, I probably have to wait till the following morning at least before the stucco is suitable to float. I imagine I can rough the surface up a bit to let it breathe and cure faster. When it's stiffened up a bit, I can try floating with the sponges, and everything should blend nicely? Even doing this, will that standard larger aggregate I've been using ruin the transition area?
If I understand you correctly, the sponge float levels the stucco just by grinding it off, you don't actually move it to another area like you do with the steel trowel?

I'll have to check out that synthetic stuff you mentioned. We just want a simple white finish. Almost all the neighbors who had renovations done used a textured elastomeric paint over the old stucco, my wife really likes its look, so she was requesting that.
These old houses tend to shift around a bit, especially since we're in an earthquake zone, and they all seem to have cracks. I'm not sure if that's why they're going with a flexible elastomeric finish.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Putting stucco on at night you will not sponge float it the next morning Your cement should take up in 4 / 5 Hrs and be ready to float.
Depending on temps it must be 4 degrees and rising to apply stucco at 40 degrees it will take a good 5 Hrs. If temps are going below 40 you have a problem.
When you state that cement is being used what type ?
Portland Type I , Type II or Type III they all have a set time.
Is your cement an NHL type ?
Aggregate size will affect transition to existing.
The floating process removes aggregate & cement and leaves a texture as related to the floats surface.
I have a question if all the neighbor's have stucco exteriors why not ask the translator to find out what the standard practice is and what material and tools were used & are available in your area to the area?
As for the Elastomeric coating in my area the high moisture & humidity causes the coating to blister.

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Tue May 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Clarence, I had a question about cleaning up the rough areas all over the house. It appears as though the aggregate was too course, and using no additives the stucco I did did not match well. The general level is quite close though.
I did an experiment and it looks quite good. I pressure washed an area I wanted to touch up. I mixed three parts fine silica sand with one part Portland cement, and applied A thin layer with a rubber float, just enough to smooth it out. It was very easy to apply, and it looks great. I'm thinking to cover up all of my old work with this. Then we'll just use a white latex paint ( same as the original) to cover everything. Is there any problems doing it this way? Since most of the stucco is a bit rough, it seems to hold OK. I was just worried because it's so thin it might crack or pop off or something in the future. But I guess a finish coat is basically the same thing?
I do have some bonding agent, but not sure it's necessary.

As a side, I was able to find a powdered additive to make stucco more sticky and flexable. Still trying to find out exactly what it is, but it only takes about a tablespoon to make about 30 kg of dry mix take on a bit of bubblegum quality. Here's the website:
http://www.metolose.jp/e/industrial/index.shtml

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 am

Well, need to wait a month to paint new stucco, so I need to get this done now one way or another.

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I guess Clarence is gone. I answered all the questions and more in a couple of posts, left them up for a week or so, and deleted it because I thought maybe I had provided too much information and the thread was getting off track.
I've totally finished the stucco job on the house now, not sure how long it will hold up.
There were a couple guys on YouTube who were quite helpful in answering some of my concrete and stucco questions. Mike Haddock and Kirk Giordano.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Sorry about that "theniceguy" I though Clarence was helping you out and he seemed to have the expertise you needed. I was not really monitoring this post very closely and did not realize he had not been answering anymore :oops: :oops: . I did not mean to ignore you. I'm glad you were able to get finished up.

TheNiceGuy

Post by TheNiceGuy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:02 am

I'll have to try to find a masonry specific forum. I have about two years worth of questions built up.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Ya sorry but stucco is not something I really do.