Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Post Reply
xupe33glf
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by xupe33glf » Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 am

Hey Shannon - I see in a lot of your insulating posts/videos, gang boxes are installed that have an attached piece of poly vapor barrier. I have looked all over the web and cannot find them. I see a lot that appear to be rigid plastic with a flange that have a foam seal, but none like you normally show. Any idea where you can get these? Thx - Gabe


User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Tue May 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I've seen them in my home center store (Menards) in the same aisle where all the electrical boxes are. They are branded Iberville and come from Canada.

I haven't seen them anywhere else, including Home Depot or Lowe's, and I can't find them online either (or at least from any USA merchant). You may be stuck with using those plastic boxes!

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Yes these are separate from the metal boxes and installed at the same time. If you are in the States I see Aaron has had some trouble finding them readily but If you are in Canada they should be easy to find , usually with the electrical boxes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

I think Menards does online sales? Here's a link to those poly vapor barriers. Give it a try:

https://www.menards.com/main/search.htm ... =Iberville

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 2243
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Shouldn't there be an Amazon link in here somewhere?!?!?! (hint hint hint) 8-)
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Wed May 17, 2017 10:49 pm

LOL, I can't find them on there only plastic gang boxes with foam edges.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Yeah I don't really get what the foam is for?

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

I think it is to help make a seal to the back side of the drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 am

But what about the poly that surrounds the box? I wonder how you tape it to the plastic box, if not to that foam flange?

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by emtnut » Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 am

xupe33glf wrote:Hey Shannon - I see in a lot of your insulating posts/videos, gang boxes are installed that have an attached piece of poly vapor barrier. I have looked all over the web and cannot find them. I see a lot that appear to be rigid plastic with a flange that have a foam seal, but none like you normally show. Any idea where you can get these? Thx - Gabe
Nutz tip of the day .... :mrgreen:

I've used a piece of the 6mil poly , wrap it around the box ... Inspectors have passed it, cause it's a valid vapour boot.

Make sure you tape around where your wires come into the box.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 pm

emtnut wrote:
xupe33glf wrote:Hey Shannon - I see in a lot of your insulating posts/videos, gang boxes are installed that have an attached piece of poly vapor barrier. I have looked all over the web and cannot find them. I see a lot that appear to be rigid plastic with a flange that have a foam seal, but none like you normally show. Any idea where you can get these? Thx - Gabe
Nutz tip of the day .... :mrgreen:

I've used a piece of the 6mil poly , wrap it around the box ... Inspectors have passed it, cause it's a valid vapour boot.

Make sure you tape around where your wires come into the box.
Yes i have done that many times as well, not as pretty but does the trick! :lol: ;)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 pm

emtnut wrote:I've used a piece of the 6mil poly , wrap it around the box ... Inspectors have passed it, cause it's a valid vapour boot.

Make sure you tape around where your wires come into the box.
I *just* watched a YouTube vid of that, this guy looks like a trade school instructor:

https://youtu.be/_eT0wI7ElbU

That is so easy and simple. This is the way to go if you can't find those poly pockets. I will much sooner do this than use plastic boxes, they just give me hives. lol

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Sat May 20, 2017 7:33 am

I watched that also, They actually split this info into 4 videos which is kind of silly but once you watch all four you can see him seal it all up as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Sat May 20, 2017 11:00 am

Yeah I'm sure it was one of his students recording on their cell phone and they didn't know how to merge all the files into one with video editing software.

That poly looked kind of thin, too. Not the 6 mil stuff.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 8652
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Shannon » Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah I'm sure it was one of his students recording on their cell phone and they didn't know how to merge all the files into one with video editing software.

That poly looked kind of thin, too. Not the 6 mil stuff.
Ya I agree that poly was for sure thinner then needed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by emtnut » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 am

Aaron wrote:
emtnut wrote:I've used a piece of the 6mil poly , wrap it around the box ... Inspectors have passed it, cause it's a valid vapour boot.

Make sure you tape around where your wires come into the box.
I *just* watched a YouTube vid of that, this guy looks like a trade school instructor:

https://youtu.be/_eT0wI7ElbU

That is so easy and simple. This is the way to go if you can't find those poly pockets. I will much sooner do this than use plastic boxes, they just give me hives. lol
That dawg stole my trick !! :x :lol:

I didn't notice the first time, but yeah that poly looked pretty thin . Depending on their location, maybe building code there only requires a thinner VP ??

When he taped the plastic in front of the box to 'keep it out of the way' ... I just tuck it inside the box ;) ... Cause tape is expensive, and I'm cheap 8-)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Vapor Barrier Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Tue May 23, 2017 6:50 am

Yeah you'd have to cut the excess shorter than he did to stuff it all in the box. I might use a cheap tape or rubber band instead.

You guys up there have excellent steel device box design. You can really secure those suckers to the studs, they have those nice shallow flanges and even internal angle screw holes.

The steel device boxes down here don't have any of those features, which makes wrapping them with poly more difficult (but not impossible).

I've all but given up on device boxes and pretty much use 4" square boxes with mud rings now. I've priced them out (retail) and a 1.5" deep 4" square box with a single-gang 1/2" raised mud ring together is cheaper than a steel device box!

Post Reply