Load bearing material

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Scottystepp

Load bearing material

Post by Scottystepp » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I remember seeing a home improvement show where they used a fast setting material to tuck point (shim) between a load bearing pillar and load bearing wall. It was a small space, around 1/4", that he was filling. Any ideas?

My situation involves installing a 4x4 post onto an uneven concrete floor. I could use concrete but the gap would be too small and I'm afraid the concrete wouldn't have much back bone. I could also chisel out a bigger piece of floor but I definitely want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help!

A. Spruce

Re: Load bearing material

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do? It might be easier to use a non-compressive material as a shim than to try to use a mortar product. What is the post supporting that needs the shimming? How much shimming is necessary and is it across the entire footprint of the post or just a small area? Please post as much descriptive info as possible about your situation.

The TOH tv show has used expanding concrete in a few applications, but, I'm not certain that this is the right solution to your problem.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 17, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm thinking you are referring to non shrinking grout?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Scottystepp

Post by Scottystepp » Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks once again! Non shrinking grout looks like the ticket! Keep up the great work. You da man.