replacing rotting wood - inside and out.

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
SeeSee

replacing rotting wood - inside and out.

Post by SeeSee » Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 am

I had someone put new siding on my very old mobile home - 1975 - and they put the siding on over the old aluminum siding. That was about 2 years ago. I was told the man died. Problem is, the windows leak! While watching your video I see that they did not put any drip caps or J channels around the window! I am redoing that side of my mobile home...removing the new siding, etc...because I have a lot of rotting...floor, joist, etc. My questions are: 1. do I remove the new vinyl siding starting from the top or bottom? 2. Can I put the house wrap over the old siding once I remove the new siding? 3. Should I remove the old siding as well and install plywood - THEN add the house wrap and replace the new vinyl siding?

Shannon

Re: replacing rotting wood - inside and out.

Post by Shannon » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

So the vinyl siding is easiest removed from top to bottom.
With the amount of rot you have already I think I would be temped to remove and recycle the old aluminum so that you can see the structure under that. I would suspect you will have more rot in the walls? So after that is repaired you could install 1/2" plywood/OSB and then wrap and siding.
I hope this answers your questions for now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

SeeSee

Post by SeeSee » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am

Wow...thank you so much for answering my question! Your information is straightforward and complete. I appreciate that. Once I removed the section of new siding and got to where the main beams are rotted I cut away the old aluminum siding and could get to those beams much easier. Because there is "no" barrier between the old aluminum siding and the inside structures of the wall - besides the studs and the insulation - it's easy to see what damage there is. When I removed the sheet rock I saw the only place there was rot was at the very bottom of some of the wall studs. The subfloor and joists have most of the rot. So, because of your suggestion, my next decision will be, "do I go through the trouble of removing all the new siding (hoping I can put it all back right - thank God for YouTube), AND the old aluminum siding and then install 1/2" plywood/OSB, wrap and replace siding"? My OCD tells me to go for it...my age and back tell me not to do it! But, as long as I don't allow myself to panic because of how long each step takes, (is taking), I think it will actually be fun. And once it's done, if it's done right, I'll not have to do it within the next 20 years - which is pretty much all the time I think I'll need anyway...lol! Thank you so much for your advice!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 pm

sounds like you are on the right track now, good luck!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

SeeSee

Post by SeeSee » Sat May 20, 2017 10:46 am

Well...good news...my husband informed me that our mobile home is a 1995 - NOT a 1975! Lol...for some reason I got the 70's stuck in my head lately! Probably because the 70's were such a good time for us! Thanks again.