Siding as a percentage of home value?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
drdec

Siding as a percentage of home value?

Post by drdec » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 am

Does anyone have any guidance as to how much to spend on re-siding a house as it relates to the current value of the home? I.e., don't spend more than X% of the value of the house on siding.

Thanks,
Ray

Shannon

Re: Siding as a percentage of home value?

Post by Shannon » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I really do not think there is a relevant # for that? What is your concerns? Will you get your money back in resale or that type of thing?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Yeah I think the math equation would be far more complex than just a percent of the house value. Other variables would include the condition of the current siding (whether it's actually necessary to replace the siding), the value of the house, the types of buyers, etc. If the current siding is paintable and in good shape, it may make much more sense to re-paint rather than replace.

I think you kind of have to go with your gut on that one, or consult with a real estate agent who has sold a lot of homes in the area.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 20, 2017 11:49 am

All you have to work from is the current market value, what your home is worth now and what it is worth with the new siding and any other upgrades you do. Ultimately, there are few things you can do to a home, other than minor cosmetics, that will recoup your investment, particularly in the short term.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!