Roof Structure for Shed Building

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
TacomaCZMan

Roof Structure for Shed Building

Post by TacomaCZMan » Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm

In the shed video part 3, you used rafters on 24" centers. If the length you selected had been 12' instead of 8' would you have still used 24" on center rafters?

The shed I am building is 8' W x 12' L with a 5' double door opening on the front gable wall. I am at the point where I am ready to build the roof structure. With those dimensions, can I still use 24" on center rafters or should I use 16" on center rafters?

Shannon

Re: Roof Structure for Shed Building

Post by Shannon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 pm

You will be fine with 24" o.c. Besure to watch the shed wrap up video to see the extra support I added to the rafters as well that was not mentioned in the roof video.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

TacomaCZMan

Post by TacomaCZMan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 am

Shannon wrote:You will be fine with 24" o.c. Besure to watch the shed wrap up video to see the extra support I added to the rafters as well that was not mentioned in the roof video.
Great! I plan to review the video carefully before I purchase my materials. In the latter part of the video(have not watched yet) did you show how/where you attached the 2 x 6 facia boards?

Thanks Shannon. Appreciate you sharing your expertise!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 pm

That was a couple years ago but I'm sure I did. I would have to watch to be sure also, lol
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

TacomaCZMan

Post by TacomaCZMan » Sat May 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Shannon wrote:That was a couple years ago but I'm sure I did. I would have to watch to be sure also, lol
In process of watching the video. A couple of points to clarify please. You were using 13/16" as half the thickness of the 2 x 6 when making the rafter calculations. Why didn't you use 3/4"??? Isn't the actual thickness of that 2 x 6 1 ½"?

How far does the point of the 2 x 6 facia stick up? I can readily see how it alines with the rafters and the joint of the two plywood pieces, but it looks like the point is sticking up at the end of the ridge board. Would that be the thickness of the 7/16" OSB?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 21, 2017 7:57 am

many people ask that and the answer is this: that half thickness deduction is calculated using the slope of the roof measured across the 2x6 not measure simply straight across the 2x6. In this case however because our slope was not very steep and only one thickness of ridge beam was needed for our span it really made not much difference. However if our roof slope was 8/12 that number would have been 7/8" or 12/12 slope would have been 1-1/16". So you can see that could be important depending on your actual slope choice.

I assume for the fascia you are referring to the end fascias where they are right up by the end of the ridge beam? Mathematically that would be 3/4" ,I'm not sure if it was exactly. The ridge is slightly dropped because the top of it is flat and would obstruct the plane of the roof if the centre of the ridge was placed right at the top point of the roof.The only way to place it right to the top would be to cut the top of it to the slope of the roof creating a point at the top centre of it.

TacomaCZMan

Post by TacomaCZMan » Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Shannon wrote:many people ask that and the answer is this: that half thickness deduction is calculated using the slope of the roof measured across the 2x6 not measure simply straight across the 2x6. In this case however because our slope was not very steep and only one thickness of ridge beam was needed for our span it really made not much difference. However if our roof slope was 8/12 that number would have been 7/8" or 12/12 slope would have been 1-1/16". So you can see that could be important depending on your actual slope choice.

I assume for the fascia you are referring to the end fascias where they are right up by the end of the ridge beam? Mathematically that would be 3/4" ,I'm not sure if it was exactly. The ridge is slightly dropped because the top of it is flat and would obstruct the plane of the roof if the centre of the ridge was placed right at the top point of the roof.The only way to place it right to the top would be to cut the top of it to the slope of the roof creating a point at the top centre of it.
Great. Since I am using a 6/12 slope that should be my measurement. Thanks.

Yes, the fascias where they are right up by the end of the ridge board. Ok, got it now. I believe you went over that on the video. So the measurement from the top of the ridge board to the tip of the 2 x 6 fascia would be that 3/4".

Thanks again Shannon.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 pm

yes, 3/4"