Type of screw to install kitchen cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
Invest777

Type of screw to install kitchen cabinets

Post by Invest777 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:52 pm

I was wondering what type of screws do I need to install cabinet to cabinet , and how long? , also cabinet to drywall and preferably how long of screws? I got medium oak cabinets. Thanks

Shannon

Re: Type of screw to install kitchen cabinets

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 am

Cabinet to cabinet , depends on the type of cabinet. If you have cabinets with face frames then you need usually a #8 screw that is 1.75 times longer than the width of one face frame, so if the face frame is 1-1/4" wide then you need a screw about 2-1/4". Also pre drilling these holes will keep them from splitting. If using a #8 screw pre drill with about a 3/32" bit

If you have european type cabinets without face frames then you need to use #8 course thread Screws that are just slightly less in length than two thicknesses of the gables you are attaching. So if your Gables on the cabinets are each 3/4" thick use 1-1/4" screws , if the gables are 5/8" thick then 1-1/8" screws are required.

As for attaching the cabinets to the wall studs through drywall use #8 screws that are 2-1/4" long. Be cautious in areas where electrical wires or plumbing pipes maybe in the wall !
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon