Prime before texture ?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
phantomvs

Prime before texture ?

Post by phantomvs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 am

Hey guys,

So i put up some new sheetrock on my basement ceiling.
I am in the stage of taping joints.
My question is should i prime the ceiling before putting up texture or after.

I plan on painting the texture ceiling afterwards anyway.

Thanks !

Shannon

Re: Prime before texture ?

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:20 am

I do prime firsts but many guys just spray texture on first it. Not really sure who's right?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 pm

The way I look at it, it NEVER hurts to prime. If the texture has any sort of paint-like substance to it, it's just going to adhere better if the surface is primed. If not, it won't make any difference. So better safe than sorry is the way I look at it.

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Shannon wrote:I do prime firsts but many guys just spray texture on first it. Not really sure who's right?
So if you prime first before texturing the ceiling or walls , do you prime again after or just paint ?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I just paint after the texture has dried, no extra primer coat.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm

The way I've always done it and the way I've always seen it done is to tape and texture first, then prime and paint. You could prime before texture if you want, but it is an unnecessary step when the fresh bare drywall is the perfect surface to accept texture as it is. Just brush the surfaces down with your hand or a dust brush beforehand so as to remove as much of the surface dust as possible. You will need to do this regardless if you prime or texture first.

If you plan to paint after texture, absolutely prime (after texture )! Primer seals the surface, eliminating surface dust that will cause paint adhesion problems

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:24 pm

If you do not prime before texturing, then at least add primer or paint to the texture. If you don't and the texture gets wet it will lose it's bond and simply fall off. It doesn't help the texture bond to prime over it- that only helps the finish coating to adhere. On new construction I texture with primer or paint added, then prime, then paint. Never any problems with that and in the few instances where there was a water problem later on the texture stayed intact so if the sheetrock wasn't destroyed all that was needed was stain blocker, primer, and paint to make it look new again.

I'm the go-to guy in this area for texture matching and texture repairs and I've seen it all. I've scraped entire ceilings down with almost no effort when texture was applied directly just from the normal high humidity levels we get in the summer here. I've had to do that time and again when rolling on a coat of paint added just enough moisture to make the unprimed bond fail peeling off the texture right into my roller- GRRRR! Prime or add primer to the texture or the teeth you feel in your behind one day will be your own.

Phil

diggler306

Post by diggler306 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am

We had our ceiling textured last month and they sprayed primer first then textured (knock down) over top. That's it. No paint/primer after.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Personally, I think it is a bad idea not to paint "wall" type textures. With paint it is more resistant to abrasions and dirt. I also think it looks a whole lot better.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Most knock downs are not painted here .

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

That's because you people are weird! ;)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm

A. Spruce wrote:That's because you people are weird! ;)
Could be something to that? :lol:

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 am

Ok so i will prime my new drywall ceiling after i finish taping and sanding the joints.
Then texture the ceiling.
Then paint , 2 coats of finish .

Does that sound ok , or am i missing something ?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 am

Before you apply your final finish, you will want to prime. Priming the surface first will seal the dust on the surface and give the paint something to stick to. Paint alone is not able to stick to dust, and I doubt that paint and primer in one is going to cut it either.

Zinsser Bull's Eye 123 is my primer of choice. I do two coats of primer to get a good even base coat for the paint, then two coats of paint.