Deck Plans - Placement of Posts and Beams

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rchesterton

Deck Plans - Placement of Posts and Beams

Post by rchesterton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:48 am

I'm looking for general guidance in terms of:

1. Are my posts and beams positioned logically?

2. I am adding steps going to the new deck from the existing deck but am not sure my plan is the right way to do it (although it do have my permit based on this plan). I plan to use prefabricated stringers to go up about 4 steps to the new deck (pool height) from the existing deck. Should I plan to ledger off of the existing deck and connect one end of the stringer to that ledger and the other to the outer joist of the new deck?

3. I need to place a 48" fence w/gate along the left side of the deck to prevent access to the pool. I cannot find any fences that go above 42" - how do people meet this code?

I am attaching my plans with the dimensions. The portion of the deck that will be constructed between the AC unit/pool filter and the existing deck is really not drawn to scale. That space is actually almost square. If you look at my drawing it appears to be rectangular but the dimensions (written in on the plan now) are actually 10' wide by 10.5' long. Just wanted to point that out.

Also, the 30' span leaves me with an 18' span from corner post to pool. I may need to taper that back a bit and stop before 18' - or I will just have to add another post. If I construct the deck using a 25' span it would be a nice, clean 14' span directly to the poolside. That may be a more appropriate way to go in this case.

I will go with 6x6 posts so I can notch out for the beams.

The transition from existing deck to the new deck (the stairs) is the hardest part for me to conceptualize. That portion of the design/plan is the one that I am not at all sure about how to construct. But overall critique of my plans is welcome too. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG (442.67 KiB) Viewed 81 times

rchesterton

Re: Deck Plans - Placement of Posts and Beams

Post by rchesterton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 am

I should have also pointed out that the RED is where my current plan is for posts (circles) and beams (triple red lines). The black with all of the posts and beams in it was before I realized that I was way overbuilding this thing.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

Not sure how a ledger attached to the old deck helps when it is way lower then the new deck? I think your plan looks good as drawn. To handle that 18' span you could sister joists together until you get back to where one length reaches? For your steps you want them firmly sitting on the edge of old deck so you will need to take up about 6" or so of the old deck top perimeter space for them. You can measure the str Myers themselves to determine how much distance they will span form there to the attachment point against the new deck. This will help you determine how far from the old deck to start the new one.
Hope this kind a helps you get started
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

rchesterton

Post by rchesterton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:48 am

I guess a ledger does not really help at all from the old deck. Basically, then, the new deck is free standing (resting on posts) and just attached to the existing deck with the stringers? It seems that I would want to add a post then to the other side of the stairs (nearest the pool) in order to support them (right?).

How do you actually attach the stringers to the old deck? And when they are attached to the new deck they would have to be attached to a joist, correct? That's where I am unsure...whether or not it is just a really long joist that runs the length of the top of those stairs that will go in or how that works.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes in this case you are kinda left to semi free standing. You are attached to the house over on the small section by the a/c unit so that will help to anchor the new deck, because of the hope eggy you are at I would also have angled brackets between the posts (2x4). A extra post by the pool would not hurt to help support the stairs. The stringers can be attached with legs bolts at the bottom and through bolts at the top ,they have holes for that right in them. Attaching the bottom to the deck top and stringer top to the rim joist is fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon